[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
TN Airsoft Forums • View topic - Helpin a noob, IE myself Discuss AEGs Sniper Rifles Tactical Gear

Helpin a noob, IE myself

Discussions among Airsoft players in Memphis and surrounding areas in West TN

Moderators: Skidude, maddcatt, Tomcat14

Helpin a noob, IE myself

Postby ilkahn » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:05 pm

Ok Memphis ladies and gents.

I'm looking over the weaponry to add to my shopping spree but i'm not really certain what FPS range i SHOULD be looking for to play our games. I already know the M4 i have is pushing 300 FPS with a .2g bio bb.

1. What is the average FPS that is most desirable for games in the Memphis Area.
2. Please post some good brands that you have experience with.
3. General Weight of BB for game play? I'm using .2s, should i have a variety of BBs? Truth is i'll propbably have a variety in very short order. :shock:

ilkahn

Re: Helpin a noob, IE myself

Postby ilkahn » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:13 pm

I have been looking at this, but not sure if this will hit to hard. I already caught one poor soul to close, so i'm trying to protect myself and other players till i learn a bit more. But the gun i have i've already put some 20K bbs through shooting at everything that moves around the house.

http://www.airsoftmegastore.com/1984-KW ... Sling.aspx
ilkahn

Postby ilkahn » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:28 pm

King Arms

http://www.airsoftmegastore.com/1080-CB ... marks.aspx

Magpul

http://www.airsoftmegastore.com/1785-GU ... marks.aspx

G&G

http://www.airsoftmegastore.com/4066-GN ... e-TAN.aspx

AGM seems to be best value but i'm not sure

http://www.airsoftmegastore.com/448-AGM ... Model.aspx

Classic Army

http://www.airsoftmegastore.com/4215-SP ... Model.aspx

Granted, many of these look like the one i got from sports authority. I don't know, any feedback you folks can give me on these brands and makes i'd be appreciative.
ilkahn

Postby Waddamelon » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:03 pm

1: FPS range, I have actually a huge variety of guns because of a lucky draw with an evike BOA. But anyways I would like to say 350-410fps most of the games here are field so You want a gun that will last and have over 350fps. That being said one of the best less costly upgrade to enhance your field experience would be a tightbore barrel and some aftermarket bucking from the leading manufacturers like madbull or prometheus.
2: G&G, G&P, Echo 1,WE, KJW, CYMA-or cybergun(note I only think their AK types are their strongpoint).(these are brands I have used and can vouch for) as far as brands I haven't use but the grape vine says they are good is KWA, Tokyo Marui, and Marushin and Inakotsu
3: .2's are good for a side arm but once you go .25 you don't go back. You can pick up a bag of TSD/tac 5000 count .25s off of amazon prime free two day ship for 18$.
related note: As far as a distributor goes stick to evike or airsoftGI I usually purchase my stuff from evike.

WE G18C PDW CUSTOM
Cybergun Kalashnikov 60th anniversery AK47
G&P M4 MRE
WE M1911 4.3 HICAPA
Waddamelon

Postby Tactical Donut » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:15 pm

1) Don't listen to people saying 500+ FPS is the greatest thing in the world. All you really need is an average of 370-400 to be good enough. In my opinion ROF is more important than FPS. More BBs you can get down range is more effective than high FPS with low ROF. But of course you want to balance the two out.

2) My two favorites are G&P and VFC. Great externals and internals. KWA is also nice but the problem is they're very picky with upgrades and magazines. I recently ordered a VFC M4 E-Series from AirsoftGi for like $256 after the "HAPPY2013" coupon. It was a great deal. Here, check it out. (http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.p ... ts_id=5731)

3) My personal favorite is .23 but I normally use .25 for better flight stabilization. That and the wooded areas are great for .25 for punching through foilage. .20 is better for CQB since the action is close.

If you have any other questions just ask them. And a good tip is use Evike.com or Airsoftgi.com. They're more reliable.
Formerly Known as McKnight
Tactical Donut

Postby ilkahn » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:35 pm

I've heard you folks talk about bucking, but i have no idea what that is. I'll look it up though. What i'm after is just a stock gun well made. If i'm working on it at this point, things are going horribly wrong :lol: .

I'll look at those mentioned, i think Skrat may have told me KWA was good at death flats last weekend. I can't remember. I'll look at all those and just throw a dart, i'm sure it's like every other purchase. Don't buy the cheapest or the highest, just something comfortable and in the middle.
ilkahn

Postby Tactical Donut » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:34 pm

Bucking is a piece of rubber that goes on the end of the inner barrel and and slides into the hopup unit with the end of the inner barrel. It basically creates a seal, etc, etc. Most low end weapons come with crappy bucking so the best thing to do is replace it with a better one.

As like I said VFC is great. They're high end and the one I linked is extremely low priced for a VFC. I say get it now while it's on sale. Too late it went out of stock again. D:
Tactical Donut

Postby ilkahn » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:42 pm

It was out of stock when i looked last night too :). No biggy, there are no shortage of BB slingers to get.
ilkahn

Postby Tactical Donut » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:18 am

Here's a great starter G&P. You could always buy a Magpul MOE handguard to replace the standard m4 handguards.

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?c ... s_id=37369

Keep in mind it uses DEANS connectors. So you have to use deans batteries and a deans charger. THey're not difficult to find at all. I think Evike has some of those batteries and probably a charger wired to deans. It's only $215.89 after the "THANKYOU" coupon and shipping charges.

If you were to get the battery, weapon, charger, and Male Deans to Small Female Tamiya Adapter Cable, it would be $267.42.
Tactical Donut

Postby DrChickenhawk » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:08 am

Don't worry about the deans issue. If you need deans just go to rc store and buy the deans for about 2 bucks then solder them on. As far as what to buy that can be a tough online discussion as everyone's opinion varies. As far as BBs most use .25. FPS about 350 is more than sufficient as long as you have tight bore barrel for better accuracy. FPS will drop a bit with tight barrel. Some people like high rate of fire while I only shoot in semi. It all is up to your preference. Just let me know and I will happily help you out sometime if you need to upgrade etc.
DrChickenhawk

Postby ilkahn » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:03 pm

Much appreciated. I'm doing lots of reading and research into many things. I've learned alot about the batteries that are in use vs LiPo and Nimh (?). It appears that the non lipos lose about 20% of their full charge at rest the first 24 hours. Which explains why sometimes my batteries seem to go dead fast yet last forever when i charge them and go shooting.

So.. make sure you charge your batteries a couple hours before you use them i suppose.

I also bought a converter so i can use my smart charger in my car, not that i should ever need another battery as i've got 5 now of assorted types :) .

Can't wait for next weekend. Freaking CANT WAIT.
ilkahn

Return to Memphis, TN