[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
TN Airsoft Forums • View topic - Bull-pupping my AK- Working Prototype finished Discuss AEGs Sniper Rifles Tactical Gear

Bull-pupping my AK- Working Prototype finished

Discussions of Airsoft Guns: Electric Guns, Gas Guns, Springers (non-sniper). No real steel discussions please.

Moderators: dogsoldier, Skidude, Sniper

Re: Bull-pupping my AK-Update 4/15/12

Postby the_stange » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:37 pm

This project is still living and moving along slowly.

I ditched the right angles and block of plywood and replaced them "hobby" right angles from Lowes (Think erector set) to help add rigidity and structure.

I still have a few more pieces to cut/weld and I have to smooth the whole thing, then I will most likely texture it before painting (at least my custom made parts anyway)- The sickly blue stuff on the rear of the gun is the sand and glue from the texturing, it will of course be painted.

I hope to finish with the cutting and welding and most of the smoothing this coming weekend- I don't get a chance to work on it often during the week, but I do hope to have the whole thing finished, functioning, and painted by May 12th (I have a game that weekend).

Here are some up to date pictures- It is still very rough looking, I haven't sanded that much at all yet, and I need to resolve some fitting and alignment issues by moving/adding some screws.

Overall state-
The muzzle- I don't know what this bit on the muzzle actually is, I got it for .25 cents at a hardware store and decided it would look cool.
Two of the lower handguard, more welding has been done-This part will definitely be textured.
Two pictures showing the battery door system which I still need to finish, I will be doing work to close up the gaps and hide the appearance of the door when closed.
I will also be adding some rails to the side of the front end.

I know it still has long way to go, but it is slowly getting there.

the_stange

Re: Bull-pupping my AK- "Reboot/Update w/pics" 2/18/12

Postby 45 Bravo » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:45 am

I think you are doing a fine job.

I know from personal experience that what you have in your mind, is very difficult to build into an actual piece you can hold in your hand.
Even more so without the proper equipment, or experience, and experience comes from doing.

keep up the good work, keep us posted, we are watching!

(on a side note you mentioned a zip tie to hold the trigger in the fire position, that is not necessary if you just bypas the trigger contact switch that is in the gun)
As i am sure you have found out by now.

and you can remove the factory trigger from the gearbox and need less room in the rear stock bulkhead covering the motor/trigger arrangement.

KEEP IT up!.

45 Bravo
I make 2 predictions;
ON THE DATE WHEN US TROOPS ARE ISSUED AN Energy Pulse Weapon,
1. the US Soldier will have on his person a version of the Colt 1911,
2. and he will be aiming the NEW Weapon at someone carrying an AK.
45 Bravo

Re: Bull-pupping my AK- "Reboot/Update w/pics" 2/18/12

Postby MILSIM » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:49 pm

As much as part of my brain is punching itself in the nuts, yelling "WHY DID YOU DID THAT?"... I'm putting a whole lot of kudos your way. Its a tricky project in theory and you're moving along steadily. I looked at this thread a few months ago and I'm pleased to see you're still going strong. Best of luck to you, hope its up and running by May 12th. (Put a snazzy camo paintjob on it when you're done and it'll hide any rough spots.)
You'd be surprised what you can hit when you aim.

GHK all the way.
MILSIM

Re: Bull-pupping my AK- Working Prototype finished

Postby the_stange » Fri May 11, 2012 5:41 pm

I have a working prototype done.

I haven't documented the last week or so of work so there are no pictures of the construction progress.

Here's a couple pics while the primer is drying.

Here's a picture with my M4 for size comparison. The M4 has a 363mm barrel, the bullpup has a 509mm barrel in a shorter package.

I still have a few issues to work out especially with the dust cover & bolt carrier fitting correctly, but the rifle is very comfortable and accomplishes all of my goals in regards to ergonomics, so I feel pretty good about it right now.

I plan to keep polishing and refining the fit and finish as well as the design over the next few months, but for now I'm going to go actually play some airsoft with it and see how it is in the field.
the_stange

Postby chrisdetrin » Fri May 11, 2012 6:33 pm

i see what i swear is ducktape XD
  ▲
▲ ▲
guns:Asahi M60,TM P90,TM m16a1 with King arms M203,TM Glock 26, KWA sr-10 with CA m203, Echo1 249,m4a1,UTG l96s, UTG trishot.
chrisdetrin

Postby the_stange » Fri May 11, 2012 6:57 pm

the_stange

Postby chrisdetrin » Fri May 11, 2012 8:25 pm

▲
▲ ▲
guns:Asahi M60,TM P90,TM m16a1 with King arms M203,TM Glock 26, KWA sr-10 with CA m203, Echo1 249,m4a1,UTG l96s, UTG trishot.
chrisdetrin

Postby the_stange » Fri May 11, 2012 9:43 pm

^ Involving duct tape?
the_stange

Postby chrisdetrin » Fri May 11, 2012 9:50 pm

▲
▲ ▲
chrisdetrin

Postby the_stange » Thu May 17, 2012 8:26 pm

I tested the rifle on the field Saturday and things were going well till my trigger switch crapped out.

Uncontrollable full-auto till the battery died :roll:

I need to rework the trigger and put a kill switch in to serve as a safety, the gun proved to be very structurally sound. I also want to work out an easier way to charge/get the battery in and out.
the_stange

Postby SpectrE-416 » Sat May 19, 2012 7:44 pm

Awesome idea!When it's perfected,you'll be the coolest airsoft player on the the block.And,maybe you might have some companies on your tail for your airsoft gun design :wink:
SpectrE-416

Previous

Return to Gun Discussions