[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
TN Airsoft Forums • View topic - Bull-pupping my AK- Working Prototype finished Discuss AEGs Sniper Rifles Tactical Gear

Bull-pupping my AK- Working Prototype finished

Discussions of Airsoft Guns: Electric Guns, Gas Guns, Springers (non-sniper). No real steel discussions please.

Moderators: dogsoldier, Skidude, Sniper

Bull-pupping my AK- Working Prototype finished

Postby the_stange » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:55 pm

Over the course of this year I'm planning on converting my AK to a bull-pup weapon. As a warning to the realism Nazi's out there, this gun is based mostly on a fictitious design in my head. If you can't handle that, please get of the bus now. :twisted:

So the gun will hopefully turn out something like this (except ya know, better):

At the moment the rear stock is about 60% percent complete, I've been using some wood (cheap wood) to provide the structure of the stock and I'll be covering it with either abs plastic and bondo, or just coating it in fiberglass or bondo. The rear stock will ultimately be sand coated for texture and painted.

The front end will be more tricky than the back end. I will have to accommodate for the wiring to make the new front trigger work. I also hope work in a battery compartment for a 9.6v nun chuck battery. I also anticipate that mounting the new trigger itself will be a challenge.

I will also be making a barrel shroud/ extension that I will possibly be fluting.The extension will cover up the 509mm tight bore that I will put in the gun.

To make this project work I know I still need the following as far as parts go:

A gearbox (I've heard those are pretty important)
A mosfet (to protect the new micro switch that will operate the trigger system)
Some rails
Sights or an Optic or both
A lot of wire.
More wood and plastic.
And last but not least, a zip tie.

The progress on this project will be slow for a variety of reasons.
(1) This is my first build. (2) I want to make sure that it is done well. (3) Financial Limitations (I get $20 a month to put toward my hobbies, and that money only goes to airsoft about every other month.)

I just wanted to throw this project out there for comments, suggestions, and some tiny part of my soul hopes for the donation of parts/materials :cry:

Last edited by the_stange on Fri May 11, 2012 5:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
the_stange

Re: Bull-pupping my AK

Postby thejohnson98 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:54 pm

Remember children this is just airsoft.
thejohnson98

Postby the_stange » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:00 pm

^I've seen that before and initially based some of the design on it, but I decided to go a different direction. Mainly because I couldn't use the design of that gun with an AEG, so I wanted to redesign a front end to match what I'd have to do to the back end.
the_stange

Postby swimpat16 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:25 pm

All I've got to say is take good pictures every step you take; that way, if you're successful someone else may be able to duplicate your project. :D
swimpat16

Postby xandman » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:21 am

First factory already made a kit for making an AK a bulpup.

Friendly neighborhood armorer
Leader of team "yakuza"
忠誠心 , å誉 , å°Šé‡ , 正義 , 勇敢 , 慈悲
Irene VI, Irene VII (squad leader), Northern wind V, Northern wind VI(squad leader)
Remember " Big D" "1978-2009"
xandman

Postby the_stange » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:07 am

^I've also seen that, $540 and unavailable. This project will hopefully cost me less than $200...
the_stange

Postby C0L0N3L $aNd3rS » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:45 pm

C0L0N3L $aNd3rS

Postby the_stange » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:17 am

Just as a status update.

The rear stock (I guess that's still the right word) is coming together nicely, should have something resembling a finished product for that in the next couple weeks.

But I want to get some opinions on something

When I get this thing done, what kind of mag do you guys think will look the best.

This is what I currently have.

While I think that will look alright I've also been toying around with the Idea of the short beta spetz magazines.

And of course there's the possibility of the standard ak mag.

If you guys have an opinion on those choices, or think something else would look better, let me know.
Just don't suggest the Bakelite mags for Ak. Those things are fugly.
the_stange

Postby chrisdetrin » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:36 pm

we have a blog section...
  ▲
▲ ▲
guns:Asahi M60,TM P90,TM m16a1 with King arms M203,TM Glock 26, KWA sr-10 with CA m203, Echo1 249,m4a1,UTG l96s, UTG trishot.
chrisdetrin

Postby the_stange » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:37 am

the_stange

Re: Bull-pupping my AK *Massive Picture Update*

Postby the_stange » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:52 am

This is an update combining multiple posts I've made on Airsoft Retreat. So if things look/are structured a little odd that is why.

Original Post- 2/22/11

Hello everybody. I'm an avid lover of Kalashnikov rifles, and I've also always carried a fascination for bull-pup rifles. So for a while now I've toyed around with the idea of building a bull-pup ak conversion. I've studied multiple designs, both airsoft and real steel, but none of the airsoft conversions previously done really appealed to me (not to mention the Uncompany kit was $500+ when it was available), and none of the real steel conversions that I liked seem to be possible to pull off with an AEG.

So with that said, I've set out to build this.

This is my first build. I'd never used a chisel or other hand tools extensively before setting out to do this, so please forgive the crudeness of the design and construction. You never learn till you start.

This is what I've got so far.
[img width=832 height=768]http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r6/basspersonified/HPIM2655.jpg[/img]

It's ugly and it's crude but it's getting there. So far the construction has consisted merely of fitting the receiver and gearbox into a scrap piece of 2x4 and then covering with 1/8 inch birch plywood. As you can see I have a few more exterior panels of plywood to install on to the 2x4 structure.

I hope to have the rear end done (built, shaped, and smoothed) in the next couple weeks. Then it will be time to move onto the front end which I'm still working on the design for. I'd like to have a better plan for the front going in then I did for the back end, which was basically flying by the seat of my pants.

The front end will of course have to include the trigger system. This will be a micro switch. This means I also have to run a MOSFET on the gun to lower the electrical load on the switch, more uncharted territory for me. The front end will also hopefully house the battery internally. I'm also the hoping the front end comes out looking less "blocky" than the concept image I've created. I will also be putting on a barrel extension to cover up the 509mm tight bore that will be installed in the gun.

My preferred medium is wood, so I will be attempting to build as much as possible using wood and wood working techniques.

The gear box also has to be rebuilt in the gun, something else I've never done before. The goal with the gearbox will simply be reliability. I'm not a high speed or high fps nut, I'm going to be looking for about 350 fps with .25g (Field limit where I play is 425 with .25)

The things I know I will need to finish are:
A rebuilt gearbox (I've heard those are pretty important)
A mosfet (to protect the new micro switch that will operate the trigger system)
Some rails
Sights or an Optic or both
A lot of wire.
More wood.
And last but not least, a zip tie (to hold the original trigger in the "fire" position").

The progress on this project will be slow for a variety of reasons.
(1) This is my first build. (2) I want to try and make sure that it is done well. (3) Financial Limitations (I get $20 a month to put toward my hobbies (I'm in college....and married.)

I'd be grateful for any comments, suggestions, tips from the more experienced builders on the forum, I'm honestly a little intimidated to post stuff along side yours. :P

Just please do not post something about how Mikhail Kalashnikov would not be pleased.....those come up on every bull-pup AK thread I've looked at....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update Posted to ASR on 3/9/11
Picture Update March 9th.

What I'm going to call the rough prototype of the rear stock is done. It's rougher than I care for now that I have it painted, so I will either re-sand/resurface/repaint later or redo the thing with less mistakes on the the way next time. However this attempt served the purpose of letting me know that the basic design of the rear end was comfortable and sound.

From where I had left off last time.

First I had to get the final plywood plates in place and get the screw hole for the motor screw in the bottom of the new rear stock.
(It was a royal pain to get the motor screw angled just right)

Next I mixed up a "poor man's bondo" mixture of 50/50 Durham's "Rock Hard" Water Putty and Wood Glue. This Putty would have worked great had I sanded it some more (with finer and finer grits, etc.) The putty is not really strong enough for this application when you follow the directions, but when mixed with wood glue instead of water it becomes insanely durable.

This is some random in progress picture.

As it is now. The stock appears to be all one piece (except for the bottom plate which is removable). If I had it to do over again I would have sanded it quite a bit more, but once again that will likely come later (honestly some of the blemishes will be hidden by the final paint job, sponge painted camo ala Shwell)-Ultimately it's more import that the gun functions well as a bullpup rifle, but I would like for it to look nice also.

Enough talk on with the pictures.
A very blurry pic of the motor cage inside the new stock with the bottom plate of the stock pulled back.

As you can see the stock is getting to a finalized form. In fact I'm going to leave it as it is till the front is done and then sand them both quite a bit more before the painting.

I'm hoping to do some lay out work on the new front end this weekend and get started next week/weekend.

Since my first post about the project the following has changed about the overall plan for the gun.
1. I'm likely to just use standard iron sights. They will work much better with the new stock than I had anticipated.
2. The barrel extension will most likely just be a mock silencer, not custom made.
3. I initially will not run a mosfet in the gun. I found a micro switch that's cheap and should handle up to a
130 amp surge from a 9.6v battery.

I'm still up for all the advice,comments (constructive) and suggestions I can get.
Last edited by the_stange on Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the_stange

Postby SOAP » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:33 pm

Good work man!
Echo1 m14
jg s system with m203
jg bar10 for sale 15 dollers needs new sears
If its not tactical its not practical
Gunfire is the sound of freedom
DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR
SOAP

Postby the_stange » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:27 pm

So I've got quite a bit more done on this project.

Unfortunately I have not done a good job documenting my progress, I faced so many setbacks that trying to document progress was just too frustrating.

The front end basically consists of "welded" Plastruct ABS, the lower receiver and pistol grip from a Crosman R72, a micro switch, and the trigger mechanism from a flea market crossbow which serves to activate the micro switch. Some rails and the rear sight from a G36 LPEG will be added in the next few days.

The front sling mount is from a UTG M870, the ring that formerly went around the pump tube is now around the AK's outer barrel and the sling mount itself passes through the plastic.

I still need to smooth and sand the welds up front and the plaster in the back, have to also run the wiring and reinstall the internals.

I will also need to look into creating a raised front sight as the rear sight is about a half inch higher.

And of course it needs to be painted.

If anyone has questions about how it's built or what not I will do my best to answer them.

I've also made a bastard lovechild ak/mp5 charging handle that will go on the gun.

the_stange

Postby SOAP » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:43 pm

it looks sorta rough at the moment lol...but it will be awesome on the when its finished i bet
Echo1 m14
jg s system with m203
jg bar10 for sale 15 dollers needs new sears
If its not tactical its not practical
Gunfire is the sound of freedom
DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR
SOAP

Re: Bull-pupping my AK *Project Update/Reboot w/pics* 2/18/12

Postby the_stange » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:51 pm

the_stange

Next

Return to Gun Discussions