[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
TN Airsoft Forums • View topic - PolarStar Q and A session Discuss AEGs Sniper Rifles Tactical Gear

PolarStar Q and A session

Discussions of Airsoft Guns: Electric Guns, Gas Guns, Springers (non-sniper). No real steel discussions please.

Moderators: dogsoldier, Skidude, Sniper

PolarStar Q and A session

Postby trevorst » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:22 pm

Was talking with one of the local field operators today and discussed his uneasiness with the polarstar fusion engines. I thought this would be a good place to have a nice little question and answer, so that those unfamiliar arent so in the dark about the technology. Remember these are gaining in popularity and YES they are legal to use in Lionclaws and other national events.

Myth #1
The Polarstar fusion engine operator can simply just twist a knob and shoot whatever fps he wishes.

This is not true, the fusion engine has a maximum operating pressure of 120psi. The color coded nozzle that the operator has installed has a maximum fps. While the nozzles are changed rather easily, its not a fieldable operation; it could easily be argued that a spring on say an Ares G36 or a A&K SAW could be changed much, much easier.

Myth #2
The polarstar fusion engine has an unfair advantage with range over regular aeg's

False, it's still physics, you cant break the laws :D . The reality is due to the cost of the polarstar system, most operators will invest in the best barrel/bucking combo to make it operate to its potential (in comparison the costs of those parts are negligible). It is true that the polarstar is very tweakable to make maximum range more attainable.

Myth #3
The polarstar fusion can shoot 700fps and 70rps... all the rich kids gonna pwn the world with them, etc...

The reality is the best I can get my polarstar to shoot is about 40rps, by comparison I could take about 1/3 what I spent on the fusion and make a DSG setup and easily reach 60rps+

Myth #4
The sport will be ruined by gaggles of kids using 700fps 70rps fusion engines

Well this is answered above, but also these would have to be some rich kids. Expect a polarstar setup once completed to be around $1k.

Myth #5
The hose kills realism, lets just go play paintball.

Actually the fusion engine is MUCH more realistic than an AEG, those who actually shoot real steel can attest to the fact the lag on an AEG trigger is not remotely realistic (think about what all happens when you pull an AEG trigger, lag is inherent). The polarstar trigger is as close to live fire as I have tried. Not to mention you can set the firing characteristics such as ROF for say an M4 exactly like an M4. Those who are letting the hose get in the way, either cant see the forest for the trees or are just being hypercritical. If you use a sling then the hose is a non factor.

I am including the FAQ from the Polarstar website and will gladly try to answer any questions.

FAQ

(From the PolarStar Facebook page)

What Is The PolarStar Fusion Engine and PR-15 EPAR? --------------------------------------­­-------------------------
The PolarStar PR-15 EPAR (Electro-Pneumatic Airsoft Rifle) is powered by PolarStar's Fusion Engine (patent pending) and is capable of fulfilling any role in a variety of field conditions. You will be able to play as a sniper, rifleman, support gunner, etc by simply adjusting your settings on the Fire Control Unit (FCU) with LCD display and joystick.

Save money and bid farewell to those late nights spent hassling with last minute upgrades, downgrades, reshimming and tuning. No more headaches hunting for replacement parts and hoping what you need is in stock just so you can play the next day. The PolarStar PR-15 EPAR gives you several different rifles in one reliable, easy to use package.
Who makes the receiver and external parts for the PR-15?

--------------------------------------­­-------------------------
We have chosen Vega Force Company (VFC) as the OEM manufacturer of our PR-15 receivers. VFC is a well known for their high quality airsoft products and accessories. We have worked with them over several months to produce complete PR-15 receiver assemblies that meet our demanding requirements.
Will The Fusion Engine Fit Into My M4/M16 AEG?

Yes! We have digitized the gearbox dimensions of most major airsoft manufacturers to ensure a wide range of compatibility with Version 2 TM-compatible M4/M16 gearboxes. Now you can upgrade your Tokyo Marui, Classic Army, VFC, KWA, etc using our Fusion Engine drop-in kit. KWA 2GX AEGs may require some minor modification similar to installing any non-2GX gearbox.
Will The Fusion Engine Fit Into My MP5, G3, SCAR, etc?

Yes! The Fusion Engine will fit into any AEG that uses a TM-compatible Version 2 gearbox. The only required modifications would be to change out the air nozzle and selector plate to match your AEG. We will be producing air nozzles and selector plates for different AEGs using the Version 2 gearbox in the near future.
Will The Fusion Engine Be Available For Any Other Gearbox Versions?

Yes! We are working on releasing Fusion Engines for the Version 3, Version 6 and M60 gearboxes with more gearbox versions coming soon.
Is The Fusion Engine Compatible with AEG Hopup and Inner Barrels?

Yes! We designed our Fusion Engine to be fully compatible with Tokyo Marui Version 2 AEG hopup units and AEG inner barrels. Every PolarStar PR-15 EPAR includes a VFC Hopup and VFC Tight Bore Barrel installed.
Does the Fusion Engine really have "open bolt" and "closed bolt" modes?

Yes! "Open Bolt" mode is similar to the normal AEG firing cycle: Nozzle retracts, round is fed, nozzle returns, round is fired immediately after. "Open Bolt" mode eliminates the possibility of dry firing after a mag change and allows you to immediately engage targets with the first trigger pull. This is mode best for riflemen and machinegunners.

In "Closed Bolt" mode, the round is fired first, then the nozzle cycles feeding the next round into the hopup chamber. "Closed Bolt" mode offers the fastest trigger response with no delay in semi-auto. The BB is also given time to seat consistently between each shot improving accuracy. This mode is ideal for snipers and designated marksmen.
Is It True I Don't Need Expensive Gas Mags for the PR-15?

Yes! Another cost effective feature of the PolarStar PR-15 is that it can use just about any Tokyo Marui-compatible M4/M16 AEG magazine. You can reuse all your standard mags, hicaps, midcaps and real cap mags with the PolarStar PR-15.
How Many Shots Can I Get Out Of My HPA Air Tank?

Shot count is determined by tank volume, tank pressure and operating pressure. A very conservative calculation is (Tank Capacity) x (Tank Pressure/100) = Shots. For example, in one of the least efficient setups an 88ci / 4500psi tank would be 88 x 45 = 3960 shots at 110psi (400fps w/ .2g in a CQBR).
What Kind of Battery Can I Use With The Fusion Engine?

Any common airsoft battery from 7.4V up to 12V will work fine. A common 9V alkaline will also work. The Fusion Engine's Fire Control Unit (FCU) comes with Tamiya connector installed, however, Deans or a 9V tab can added.
Does the Fusion Engine's FCU save my last settings?

Yes! Your settings are stored in non-volatile memory and are retained even if power is removed. Factory defaults can be restored by holding in the programming button down before applying power to the FCU.
What are the different air nozzles for the Fusion Engine?

There are currently six (6) different nozzle bores which allow the operator to shift the velocity adjustment range up or down. The air nozzles are color coded in order of increasing velocity. The color coding also allows field and event staff to easily identify and confirm the safe FPS limit of an airsoft rifle using the Fusion Engine system. Note: The muzzle velocity with a given nozzle is partially determined by the length of the barrel therefore the examples below are approximated FPS for reference when using an M4 carbine length barrel (363-375mm) with .20g BBs at the max input pressure of 120psi. An M16 rifle length barrel (509mm) will bump this up by an average of 30-40fps.

Green - 325fps
Gold - 366fps
Blue - 405fps
Black -455fps
Silver - 494fps
Red - 550fps

Tokyo Marui M14 SOCOM DMR
PolarStar Fusion Custom SR25
Lots more....
Μολὼν λαβέ
....If in doubt pinkie out.
Greater is an army of sheep led by a lion, than an army of lions led by a sheep - Alexander the Great
trevorst

Re: PolarStar Q and A session

Postby killertn » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:28 am

Great thread man. Hope this can help people see how great the system is. :mrgreen:
[url=http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/myfragisfubar]
[/url]

Rest easy Big D.
TM VSR-10 G-Spec
KWA M9 PTP
killertn

Postby xandman » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:50 pm

Well said. I hope non Polar Star users can get some useful information from that. Since my shop sells them we get TONS of questions just like what you have stated above. The one I get all the time is "Cant you just turn the dial to whatever FPS you want?". Good info Trev! If you want I can put it in the armorer section if you wish along with your other Polar star posts. ( I have a full review for mine aswell as the Barrett and the more good info I have the better)
Friendly neighborhood armorer
Leader of team "yakuza"
忠誠心 , å誉 , å°Šé‡ , 正義 , 勇敢 , 慈悲
Irene VI, Irene VII (squad leader), Northern wind V, Northern wind VI(squad leader)
Remember " Big D" "1978-2009"
xandman

Postby ReaperM14 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:47 pm

Nice one man. Really great to see something like this up here. I myself didn't know some of the info here. Thanks Scott!
Team Yakuza
OP: SoCo, Squad 2-2 (2012)
OP: Fulda Gap, Warsaw 120th (2012)

KWA M16 BR
KWA MP7A1
KWA USP Compact
Tokyo Marui MP5k
Tokyo Marui Mk23 SOCOM
Tokyo Marui M3 Super 90
ReaperM14

Postby trevorst » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:00 pm

Lots more....
Μολὼν λαβέ
Greater is an army of sheep led by a lion, than an army of lions led by a sheep - Alexander the Great
trevorst

Postby xandman » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:03 pm

I will compile your posts in the next day or so ( I am swamped before Shot Show) My review for My M16 will be up in a day or so aswell.
Friendly neighborhood armorer
Leader of team "yakuza"
忠誠心 , å誉 , å°Šé‡ , 正義 , 勇敢 , 慈悲
Irene VI, Irene VII (squad leader), Northern wind V, Northern wind VI(squad leader)
Remember " Big D" "1978-2009"
xandman

Postby trevorst » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:16 pm

Lots more....
Μολὼν λαβέ
trevorst

Postby Dannick » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:44 pm

Yep, completely agree. So many people assume that having an adjustable regulator = adjustable fps, but they don't realize that this can only go so far. Even classics and DGs that don't use special nozzles still have a max operating pressure before internals start breaking. In my experience the average externally gas regulated gun shoots around 350-450 fps and won't be able to go much higher. (Of course the exception being the P* with a high FPS nozzle.)

Systema PTW
VFC HK416
KSC USPc
KSC G19
Dannick

Postby vulrath » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:04 am

[side rant]
Just about the only guns that I could really fine-tune the FPS on were my M700s, and that was mostly done via taking the whole bolt apart and adjusting the little screw in the center (I could adjust my PSI, but sniper rifles are built for precision, and this method, though a pain in the ass, is much more precise in the long run than sitting in front of a chrono for half an hour with a wrench messing with the regulator before each and every game - I've tried it, and it don't work too well for lowering FPS). Sure, I could crank it and get a couple of shots off before my seals blow fantastically, but integrity and a healthy desire to not have to disassemble and repair the mag keeps that from happening.

You can't even really pull that kind of thing with the WA system. You WILL annihilate your nozzle and bolt carrier, and destroy your (extremely expensive) magazines on the higher end, and the gun won't reliably function at under 85 PSI. People without intimate knowledge of the system don't know about this and assume that we have complete control.
[/side rant]

Lots of good info here. A good portion of what I'm hoping will happen is that the enormous initial cost will keep a good chunk of the "I'm going to sneak this insanely powerful gun past the chrono station" fools sticking with AEGs for the time being.
vulrath

Postby SekiRyu » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:32 am

SekiRyu

Postby trevorst » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:25 am

Lots more....
Μολὼν λαβέ
trevorst

Postby ReaperM14 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:28 pm

I just noticed that they are making the P* V6 gearbox... Time to buy a P90... >_>
Team Yakuza

KWA M16 BR
KWA MP7A1
KWA USP Compact
Tokyo Marui MP5k
Tokyo Marui Mk23 SOCOM
Tokyo Marui M3 Super 90
ReaperM14

Postby vulrath » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:41 pm

vulrath

Postby trevorst » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:42 pm

Lots more....
Μολὼν λαβέ
trevorst

Postby ReaperM14 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:51 pm

Team Yakuza

KWA M16 BR
KWA MP7A1
KWA USP Compact
Tokyo Marui MP5k
Tokyo Marui Mk23 SOCOM
Tokyo Marui M3 Super 90