[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
TN Airsoft Forums • View topic - Is there a difference between the two? Discuss AEGs Sniper Rifles Tactical Gear

Is there a difference between the two?

Discussions of Airsoft Guns: Electric Guns, Gas Guns, Springers (non-sniper). No real steel discussions please.

Moderators: dogsoldier, Skidude, Sniper

Is there a difference between the two?

Postby Fluffy Boy 32 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:16 pm

So I'm about to purchase a new barrel for my project gun and I'm trying to figure out the difference between the two. Besides the obvious that one includes a gas block and gas tube and the other has LaRue trades, is there a difference in the finish or is it just the lighting in the picture of the LaRue one that makes it look different? If you have experience with either barrel or other barrels from that brand and could tell me if the finish is different than the picture, that would help a lot!

I'm trying to pull off this look:
http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/ad13 ... 2_51PM.png
http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/ad13 ... 435269.jpg

Here are the links to both the barrels, if someone could help me out, that would be great!
http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/iron-airsoft ... ilver.html
http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/a ... Silver.htm

Armory:
-PolarStar'd VFC 635 w/ R-Hop
-KWA USP Compact
-Custom Zombie Killer KJW 1911
Fluffy Boy 32

Re: Is there a difference between the two?

Postby vulrath » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:29 pm

The Dytac has a clockwise thread on the end, as opposed to the IA's CCW thread. Other than that, it seems like a wash. The Dytac is CNC'd, but the IA barrel doesn't mention the construction method (probably also CNC'd; IA makes a good product from what I understand).

That said, the finish is quite different between the two. The IA looks like it'd be more of a metal look, while the Dytac looks more like it'd have a more matte, "smoked glass" (comparatively) appearance, if that makes any sense at all (it's kind of hard for me to explain without being next to you, pointing out the differences).

Honestly, I'd go with the IA barrel. CCW is a lot more common than CW on AEGs, so there's more accessories to accommodate it.

EDIT: It also looks like the barrel in both of those photos is painted green. If you're looking to duplicate it entirely, then I'd suggest getting a can of Duracoat/Durabake or something (or sending it off to get painted - I can give you the contact info for a couple of companies that are very highly rated for doing real steel finishes).
vulrath

Postby Fluffy Boy 32 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:10 am

I'll probably just be throwing on a can break (Noveske KX3) and calling it a day so really it won't matter much with the threads as long as there are some...

As far as the finish, it may be because the pictures were color corrected/played with. Here's a video of him playing around with the gun a bit:

Which ever barrel replicates his the best will probably be my choice.

Can't seem to find the RS barrel for reference...Oh well.

Here's a guy that did a replica with an AEG that used the Dytac barrel. Still debating if that looks right. Need a second opinion...
http://ncairsoft.org/forum/showthread.p ... m4-replica
Armory:
-KWA USP Compact
Fluffy Boy 32

Postby vulrath » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:29 am

It's not painted, and my gut says that the Dytac is closer to what he's got. It looks like Travis' barrel is greyer, though.
vulrath

Postby Fluffy Boy 32 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:36 am

Yeah, If you look at that replica gun that guy built. A few of the pictures look a little gray. The others are white (and it looks like he used flash on his camera so it gives it that look). I'm thinking the Dytac too. Guess that's a good thing too, comes with the gas block/tube!
Armory:
-KWA USP Compact
Fluffy Boy 32

Postby Fluffy Boy 32 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:46 am

Would you happen to know the RS version of the barrel? I'm trying to get a little more information on it just so I know more about it.
Armory:
-KWA USP Compact
Fluffy Boy 32

Postby vulrath » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:59 am

Not a clue. I've been working on a close up of Travis' gun from the Magpul video you linked.
vulrath

Postby Fluffy Boy 32 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:02 am

Ok, Thanks!
Armory:
-KWA USP Compact
Fluffy Boy 32

Postby Fluffy Boy 32 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:56 pm

Well this was kinda pointless. I thought the guy I was going to purchase the LaRue rail carried a 12" LaRue Rail and the longest LaRue rail he had was a 9" and he said it would be quite a while before he would even be able to get some (if possible). So I decided to purchase a DD 12" RIS II from him and I'll have to find the appropriate barrel nut for my G&P WOC to replace the AEG barrel nut it comes with.

For now, the barrel nut alone is going to take the rest of my available funds so I'll have to wait to pick up the Dytac barrel until I have the funds.

Thanks for the help man.
Armory:
-KWA USP Compact
Fluffy Boy 32

Postby vulrath » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:01 pm

I purchased a cheap AGM M4 off someone in the For Sale section as a parts gun, and it had on it (like, the guy tried to upgrade a little). Looking at the video, that looks as close to Travis' gun as you're going to get (just use a combination of the straight parts and ignore the section with the bayonet lug).
vulrath

Postby Fluffy Boy 32 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:09 pm

I think his is more of a white color. In the video, it shows a zoomed in view of the barrel/break when they are discussing muzzle breaks and flash hiders...
Armory:
-KWA USP Compact
Fluffy Boy 32

Return to Gun Discussions