[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
TN Airsoft Forums • View topic - Need help deciding between a GBB or AEG for next gun Discuss AEGs Sniper Rifles Tactical Gear

Need help deciding between a GBB or AEG for next gun

Discussions of Airsoft Guns: Electric Guns, Gas Guns, Springers (non-sniper). No real steel discussions please.

Moderators: dogsoldier, Skidude, Sniper

Need help deciding between a GBB or AEG for next gun

Postby m4sherman » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:22 am

well guys I am at the point where I want to buy a L85 airsoft gun and cant decide if I want to go with the GBB or stay with the AEG's.

THis is what I am thinking about getting along with two extra mags

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?c ... s_id=35126

but for the same price I could get a really nice AEG with a stuff ton of mags. so any opinions

m4sherman

Re: Need help deciding between a GBB or AEG for next gun

Postby cowboy117 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:23 am

ummm, wrong section?
cowboy117

Postby m4sherman » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:38 am

Lol very much so stuff......
m4sherman

Postby vulrath » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:00 am

The thing that worries me about the WE system is that there is very little in the way of aftermarket firing mechanism parts. I'm sure it's gotten better since I retired my SCAR, but it's not quite on the scale of what's available for the WA system (they had parts for the M4, but nothing else was on the market because the trigger parts for the SCAR are of a completely different design from the M4). Back then there were a lot of problems with pot metal hammers and firing pins snapping. Now it's entirely possible that they've fixed problems like that, or just redesigned the trigger again.

To be honest, from my experience with the WE mags (among other things; I had 6 mags, only 2 of which didn't leak until just recently where I managed to seal two more using silicone gasket maker) and comparing my problems (aside from the mags, I had problems with the closed bolt hop up bucking, the nozzle and the 2 RA TECH NPAS nozzles that I went through to replace it - one exploded, and the other had serious problems with the flute valve to the point that it stripped when I went to change the FPS, and it double-fed; needless to say it put a bad taste in my mouth) to those I had with the WA system (tthe hammer lock wasn't engaging properly for a while because it wasn't shimmed properly and thus banged up the selector and wore it in unusual ways, the front sight gave me trouble because it didn't want to stay put until I discovered that there's a grub screw that's supposed to go in there, the locking piece snapped off of my charging handle, and I had a field day trying to properly shim the barrel nut without the proper tools), and other than the issue with the hammer lock (which would have totally been a PEBKAC situation if we were talking computers) it's just been a bunch of small, petty stuff that I gripe about because I built the thing. Both are total money pits (all GBBRs are; it's just the nature of the beast), but I think moving to the WA was a Good Choice for me.

Bottom line: If you want a gun that just works, get an AEG (sewing machine, lol). If you don't mind having a perpetual project gun and don't mind the added cost (both upfront and as time goes by), go with the GBBR.
vulrath

Postby Fluffy Boy 32 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:13 am

Wait, You had a problem with the front sight too? Mine would move from side to side no matter what. Ended up doing a "MagPul grip" and would use my thumb to hold the thing. Lol

OP: You're going to run into small problems with a GBBR. The good part about that is, you don't have to be very tech savvy to figure out the problem and to fix it. With AEG's it's more of a pick it up and run it until it dies type of thing and when ti finally does die, you'll probably want something new on the market, you can pay to have it fixed or you'll know how to fix it yourself from watching YouTube.

Let me say this. I screwed up putting back together a V.2 MP5 gearbox (had everything just right but I kept loosing the selector spring and went through two packs of gearbox spring, also took apart the trigger mech which was a big mistake and couldn't get it back together) and ended up selling it off to arsoftn00b and watching him put it back together in less than an hour or so (made me mad at myself) but I was able to put together a whole G&P WOC challenge kit from the ground up in about 3 hours with a little blood sweat, curse words, and tears.

If someone that screws up a V.2 can put together a GBBR, That's saying something (As long as you follow Vulrath's guide and not the manual, it'll save you a lot of time and cursing).
Armory:
-PolarStar'd VFC 635 w/ R-Hop
-KWA USP Compact
-Custom Zombie Killer KJW 1911
Fluffy Boy 32

Postby vulrath » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:34 am

Minor problem. Didn't know there was a hole for a grub screw in the bottom of the front sight that holds it still. Installed that, no worries since.
vulrath

Postby SpectrE-416 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:36 pm

Going with what vulrat said,I'd probably go to Airsoft G.I. and buy their M14 EBR CQB for 500.00$
SpectrE-416

Return to Gun Discussions