[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
TN Airsoft Forums • View topic - WE Reliability...Are They Getting Better? Discuss AEGs Sniper Rifles Tactical Gear

WE Reliability...Are They Getting Better?

Discussions of Airsoft Guns: Electric Guns, Gas Guns, Springers (non-sniper). No real steel discussions please.

Moderators: dogsoldier, Skidude, Sniper

WE Reliability...Are They Getting Better?

Postby DRAGON64 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:31 pm

I realize that here in the Southland, there aren't that many GBBR users, bur I have a question for the WE users; I have come across the M16A3 from WE, and I am a bit smitten, seing as I am somewhat of an M16A3 nut. But WE has a track record of bad reliability issues. Has WE improved their reliabity issues? Do the same parts still break? Leak? Jam? Double feed (that was mainly a SCAR issue)?

I'm hovering over the "order" button, but would like to know if WE is getting better... or if it is status quo (?)

DRAGON64

Re: WE Reliability...Are They Getting Better?

Postby Fluffy Boy 32 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:03 pm

Armory:
-PolarStar'd VFC 635 w/ R-Hop
-KWA USP Compact
-Custom Zombie Killer KJW 1911
Fluffy Boy 32

Postby vulrath » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:59 pm

I have to second Fluffy's comment on the WOC. Pricier, but you get what you pay for (you could do what we did and get the challenge kit and modify it as needed - I have already compiled a ton of pertinent information in my Challenge Kit thread). If I were to buy another gas rifle, it'd be one of the full-steel WOCs.

Please note that I say this not as a WOC owner, but as a WE owner (I have the closed-bolt SCAR). The WOC is so much nicer than the WE it's not funny. They cheaped out on the internals, and it shows. I will say that they've come a long way, but they're just not "there" as far as I'm concerned.

Fluffy, the real problem with the WE pistols is a little bit more than just the mags leaking - it's more a problem with the cylinder-to-mag fit. There tends to be a gap between the cylinder and the gas route bucking on the magazine due to a lack of good quality control when molding parts. This means that (at best) the gun will get poorer gas consumption than a comparable gun without said gaps (IE a TM), and at worst the gun doesn't get enough gas to cycle properly.

If you end up getting a closed-bolt WE AR, though, PM me. I have a few mags that I have fixed up so that they won't leak any time in the forseeable future. If you get an open-bolt, then my mags won't work. At the very least, though, I can give you the secret to repairing your mags.
vulrath

Postby DRAGON64 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:31 am

DRAGON64

Postby DRAGON64 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:48 am

DRAGON64

Postby Fluffy Boy 32 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:52 am

Best of luck man! If you have any problems, feel free to post and we can try to help you out.
Armory:
-KWA USP Compact
Fluffy Boy 32

Postby DRAGON64 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:14 pm

Well, I got my M16A3 today, and guess what, the mag supplied with the rifle leaks!! Yep, loaded the magazine, laid it down long enough to go inside and get my camera, I come out, and you can see the magazine venting right into the air... other than that, I really like the rifle:

http://youtu.be/Ibc3YgSutd4
DRAGON64

Postby vulrath » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:46 pm

http://www.permatex.com/products/Automo ... _Maker.htm

Your best friend, available at your local Autozone. Pull the mag apart, apply that to the backplate of the gas chambe (a toothpick broken in half works well for this), press the gasket into the goop, put more gasket maker on the edge of the gas chamber of the mag, and press the assembly you made above into the resulting mass of goop. Replace the screws, and clamp it down in multiple places to add extra pressure to make sure the gasket maker hit all the important bits. Close the mag in a vise so that the striker valve at the top of the mag is left open, so that the goop on the inside has a chance to dry. Wait about a week before you try filling it with gas. Make sure you wear gloves - this stuff is evil to try to clean up.

Total time spent actually working on it: maybe 30 mins.

Sorry I can't find the original guide that I used when I did it.
vulrath

Postby DRAGON64 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:55 am

It was strange, as I could tip the magazine, and it would leak faster... from the nozzle or ejection port. Laying the magazine on its side was like laying a coke bottle on its side and watching the contents leak out.
DRAGON64

Postby vulrath » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:56 am

You might need to pull the striker valve out and soak it in some silicone.

Out of curiousity, did you get the open or closed bolt version? I'm at work right now so I can't watch your video.
vulrath

Postby Fluffy Boy 32 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:25 am

Armory:
-KWA USP Compact
Fluffy Boy 32

Postby DRAGON64 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:25 am

The leak is at the top of the mag, coming from the port that feeds the bolt on firing. Gas was escaping from the square rubber seal... especially when you lay the mag on it's side. And when I tried to refill while it was leaking, it only got worse. In the video, the mag runs out of gas quickily after a 20-second fill.

Fluffy is right, I have the open bolt system and mags.
DRAGON64

Postby Fluffy Boy 32 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:12 am

Where it's leaking from is part of the striker valve. Just take some pliers, place them between the two slits and turn the striker valve out and then drop it in a bag of silicone oil overnight. That should solve your problem...
Armory:
-KWA USP Compact
Fluffy Boy 32

Postby DRAGON64 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:44 am

I took my M16A3 and chrono'd it yesterday. There was planty of facts to consider, as well as notable issues. Here is video of the chrono test session:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS72b37u ... ideo_title

...and here is a short video of a concern I have with the bolt carrier group:

http://youtu.be/PXLmF8kGju0

Can I please get some feedback on the BCG concern?
DRAGON64

Return to Gun Discussions