[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
TN Airsoft Forums • View topic - Barrel Upgrade Discuss AEGs Sniper Rifles Tactical Gear

Barrel Upgrade

Discussions of Airsoft Guns: Electric Guns, Gas Guns, Springers (non-sniper). No real steel discussions please.

Moderators: dogsoldier, Skidude, Sniper

Barrel Upgrade

Postby flighttime95 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:22 pm

I am somewhat new to airsoft in terms of internals and such, and I was wondering if I could get some tips on upgrading the barrel of my gun. I currently have a G&G GR15 Raider CQB AEG, and I want to try to increase range and accuracy. Will a tighter bore barrel help increase the accuracy of the gun, and does the length of the barrel have an effect on range? I do not want to ruin my gun or degrade its current performance due to a lack of knowledge of upgrades, so any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

flighttime95

Re: Barrel Upgrade

Postby Lancer » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:58 am

A tight-bore barrel is one of the best upgrades you can do for a gun. It will increase accuracy and therefor your effective range while adding no stress to the gearbox. Many also claim that they have seen increases in velocity with tight-bores because the BB is a tighter fit in the barrel and therefore less air is lost around it.

Knowing all of this, it is also important to know that there are more important things than the inner diameter of the barrel (for example 6.03 or 6.01). What's far more important is the general quality with which the barrel is made. For this reason I personally like Prometheus or PDI barrels, as they are both made of a steel and are well made.

My advice to you is to get a Prometheus barrel, and if you don't yet want to pay that much for one, then a Mad Bull barrel is probably your best bet while on a budget (in my opinion).

Finally, regarding barrel length:

Barrel length does not affect your accuracy.

Now before you completely discount this as being false, I mean that barrel length doesn't seem to have any impact on accuracy past roughly the 247mm mark, which is (IIRC) a 7 inch barrel used in G36c's, P90's, and certain M4 barrels.

Any noticeable increase in range or accuracy attributed to a longer barrel is not because the barrel is making the weapon more accurate, but rather it is because it is providing an increase if velocity, and therefor the BB has less time to be affected by wind/other factors between it and its target and again, will simply go farther because of the increased velocity.

So, to recap everything I've said:

1. Barrel Quality is more important than inner diameter. (I recommend 6.03 Prometheus barrel, and if too expensive, then Madbull barrels).
2. A longer barrel will not boost range or accuracy from a shorter barrel so long as their FPS is the exact same.
Lancer

Postby Smartkid312 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:14 pm

Just as the guy before me said but make sure you have a good air seal 1-2 fps deviation and get an r-hop.
Jg g3 foregrip on the side and some sparying and praying. Now an m4 shooting 30 rps and maybe even more. Go team cold blooded rangers! When I'm playing on black team you can call me Tapout(thanks to gunny aw gunny). HOOAH!
Smartkid312

Postby vulrath » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:20 pm

Rhop may be a little advanced for someone not familiar with internals. Hell, I could probably do my P90 in my sleep and I still won't touch an rhop.

I echo what Lancer said. Past 247mm, what's going to matter more than barrel length and diameter is the quality of the barrel. Madbull is popular because their stuff is fairly inexpensive, and for that price it's an amazing barrel. Hell, even when you compare it to barrels in higher price ranges, it's rating really diminishes to "great".

If you're building your gun into a high-dollar, lots-of-work reach-out-and-touch-someone gun, then I say spend the extra cash on the Promy. If you're just looking to get a little something extra out of a stock/moderately upgraded gun, get the Madbull.
vulrath

Postby Smartkid312 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:24 pm

Clandestine airsoft sells rhopped prommy barrels for like 70-80 I believe and that will give you great accuracy and extreme range also the rhop is preinstalled.
Jg g3 foregrip on the side and some sparying and praying. Now an m4 shooting 30 rps and maybe even more. Go team cold blooded rangers! When I'm playing on black team you can call me Tapout(thanks to gunny aw gunny). HOOAH!
Smartkid312

Postby flighttime95 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:34 pm

Thanks for all the info guys!
flighttime95

Return to Gun Discussions