[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
TN Airsoft Forums • View topic - A little CA m24 help Discuss AEGs Sniper Rifles Tactical Gear

A little CA m24 help

Discussion of Airsoft Sniper Rifles

Moderators: dogsoldier, Skidude, Sniper

A little CA m24 help

Postby swimpat16 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:08 pm

I had been looking into getting a sniper this past Christmas because I loved the idea of reaching out farther than the average AEG. I purchased a Classic Army m24 with Christmas money from a friend with the following setup installed:
CA reinforced cylinder kit
PDI 300% spring
Madbull TB
Madbull Red Bucking

I love the gun, have skirmished with it a few times, and gotten a couple of neat kills, but the gun really has not lived up to my expectations. I bought TAC's old Madbull chrono and found the gun was only shooting 450ish with .2gs. Obviously, I have some bad compression. Ewok came over one day and we teflon taped the cylinder head, and dremmeled a new hole (for the screw that holds it in place) in the hop up to prevent it sliding forward with the bolt and losing seal. We also installed a Firefly hardtype bucking. The gun is now shooting 500 with .2gs.

I have been researching in my spare time (almost nonexistant) and so far have determined that I should get a 6.01 barrel (looking at ASGI's new ones) and a PDI hop up chamber. I am hoping that my loss of air pressure is in between the cylinder head and the hop chamber, and that a PDI will fix it.

I am now asking the pros here (and those with the patience to read my long post- sorry) if there is anything I am overlooking or something else I can do to make this thing top notch. Thank you ahead of time for your input.

swimpat16

Re: A little CA m24 help

Postby Pfhor » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:28 pm

It doesnt seem like you have lost that much if any compression. I wouldnt worry too much about. 500fps is plenty for a sniper. What are you expecting it to be shooting currently? If you are shooting 500 you may want to switch to .3 assuming you arent just using the .2 for chron
They say the mind bends and twists to deal with the horrors of life...
...sometimes it bends so far it snaps in two.

Echo 1 Barrett rec 7
JG bar 10 (upgraded)
Unknown brand mp5
KJW 614 m1911
Pfhor

Postby vulrath » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:14 am

There's a subforum dedicated to CA M24's on airsoft Forum In their Sniper Rifles forum. They should hopefully be able to help you out (they've got some of the best tinkerers I've come across).

To check your compression (to find out for sure if you're losing compression and make sure the issue isn't elsewhere), remove the outer barrel assembly, replace the receiver (with the cylinder and trigger still attached) into the stock (it makes holding it a lot easier), cock the gun, put your finger over the air nozzle and pull the trigger. Now count out how long it takes for the cylinder head to contact the cylinder head. You want at least 20-30 seconds (if you can, you should go for making it last until you move your finger away from the nozzle).
vulrath

Postby swimpat16 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:46 am

swimpat16

Postby vulrath » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:12 am

Depends on what kind of parts you can use. You should ask over on ASF whether the M24 is compatible with APS2 parts (I think they're compatible, I just don't know for sure).

There are a couple of DIY things you can do to the cylinder before you have to resort to buying new parts, such as teflon taping the threads on the cylinder head.

I'm sorry I can't be of much more help; I don't know much about M24's (with the exception of the Tanaka, which doesn't really help much), but I know the APS2 system well.
vulrath

Postby swimpat16 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:32 pm

I think the ASP2s are compatable. I will do some more searching and see what I can find. Thanks for the site though.
swimpat16

Postby chocolate pain » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:05 am

use .36 madbull's
chocolate pain

Postby swimpat16 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:45 pm

I had been considering those, but Parafrog is close and they carry the .3s. Does anyone know about ASGI's new 6.01 barrels?
swimpat16

Postby Pfhor » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:19 pm

I know parafrog knox carries javelin .36 or .39 cant remember which. And remember they can order in just about any part you need. The gi 6.01 barrels are pretty cheep in for the diameter but I havnt heard anybody say they are great or crap yet.
They say the mind bends and twists to deal with the horrors of life...
...sometimes it bends so far it snaps in two.

Echo 1 Barrett rec 7
JG bar 10 (upgraded)
Unknown brand mp5
KJW 614 m1911
Pfhor

Postby vulrath » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:47 pm

I have no idea about the ASGI barrels; I have a Deepfire 550mm 6.04mm in my L96. Do you have a PDI hop chamber? You might want to think about getting one (the PDI APS2 chamber is one of the main reasons why my rifle reaches out as far as it does, and they're functionally identical to the one they make for the CA M24).
vulrath

Postby swimpat16 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:23 am

Like I said, a PDI chamber is coming as soon as I get the money. I have a madbull 6.03 in it right now, so a 6.04 wouldn't get me anywhere.
swimpat16

Postby DWRacing39 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:49 pm

I owned a CA m24 for quite awhile, with the pdi hop chamber installed. Its really nice but takes patience.
The M24 takes virtually all of the APS2 updrades. I LOVED the feel and weight of the rifle but after fooling with it forever I gave up on it and went with a vsr-10. There are some things you can do to the stock hop up chamber to help it though. Mainly replacing the o-ring that serves to hold the hop arm in place. It gets weak easily and will let the hop arm travel. The next thing id do would be to replace the rubber hop nub (the little piece that actually pushes down on the bucking) with a hard plastic or metal piece of the same size and diameter. Then lastly and probably most importantly id take extra care to make sure that the hop up is aligned properly on the barrel. Basically all your doing is just making sure that the bucking nub moves down squarely on the bb and not at an angle. Thats the reason shots curve probably 90% of the time.

In all honesty, 500fps isnt bad. You can use off the shelf KSC .30s at that power and still not overpower the bb. What you have to take into account is the places that you are playing. If everyone's there is shooting 400 (thats about the norm) then your gonna be in pretty good shape. I think fieldcraft is paramount at sweetwater. I played at sweetwater for op: maple leaf this year and was using a HPA powered KJW rifle that was shoting every last bit of 600 ( TAC opened the sniper fps up for it). I wound up getting my butt handed to me by a sniper team using an M24 that wasnt shoting anything like mine but they were excellent at fieldcraft, where im kinda bad at that aspect of sniping lol

The M24 I had was using the piston,spring guide and cylinder head from the advanced cylinder kit that you can buy from CA for the m24. I was using an APS2 teflon cylinder. I had a laylax 170 spring installed and was shooting around 550 if I remember correctly. I was using a laylax/prometheus 6.03 tightbore. And in my opinion a good 6.04 or 6.03 would be better than the 6.03 madbull. The madbull tbs are ok for the money but I think there best suited for a suitable replacement for the stock barrel in an aeg and not much else.

Hope this helps
Operation: Irene VI alum- Task Force Ranger sniper
Operation: Northern Wind V
Santa Vs Grinch 09'

Creator of Op: Jungle Fury
Sniper rifle tech.
M24 Sniper Weapon System. HPA powered.
Barrett M82 SASR
M4 DMR system.
DWRacing39

Postby vulrath » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:18 pm

The Madbull barrels aren't bad after they've been broken in (about 1000 rounds or so, if I remember correctly), but they're not the best.

I finally got a photo of my custom nub in a micrometer. It's not the best work that I've done, but it does its job (I knew I couldn't be the only person to try putting a piece of metal there, especially with the performance gains that I got). I actually highly recommend it, as my accuracy and consistency went from being fairly dodgy with the plastic nub to only needing a tiny tweak with the metal one. As soon as I get the photo off my camera I'll post it up (sorry, but its the best I can do.
vulrath

Postby swimpat16 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:55 pm

Well, I ended up getting a PDI hop up chamber and a 6.01 barrel from asgi. I am sad to say that when Ewok and I dropped it in, the fps only rose to 520 on average, and the consistancy is still bad.
I still have a lot of tinkering to do...
swimpat16

Postby swimmerboy15 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:16 pm

ive obviously followed this story since i see you only a little less than i see my own brother but i just wanted to comment on pfhor's remark that the ASGI barrels are cheap for the diamater. i bought two of them and for an AEG they arent bad and deffinately give an FPS boost but im not so sure if I would use them for a sniper from what ive heard.

this is not a big deal at all but i just wanted to make the point that a smaller diamater (6.01 or 6.00) doesnt cost a single penny more to manufacture than a 6.03. the only thing that would make a differencer (albeit a very small one) in the cost is the material used but steel vs aluminum vs brass wont make much of a difference. it costs just as much to make a 6.03 barrel within .001mm of 6.03 as it does to make a 6.01 barrel within .001mm of 6.01. the barrel diamater is a total marketing gimmic..sorry just had to get that out :roll:
-KWA SR-10 Upgraded
-KWA M16BR
-Echo G36K
-KJW 1911

Modern Warfare 2 Addict

"Our goal is not to get to Hell fast, only to make sure it is crowded when we get there"
swimmerboy15

Return to Sniper Rifles