[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
TN Airsoft Forums • View topic - Which sniper should I upgrade Discuss AEGs Sniper Rifles Tactical Gear

Which sniper should I upgrade

Discussion of Airsoft Sniper Rifles

Moderators: dogsoldier, Skidude, Sniper

Which sniper should I upgrade

Postby ericthegreat » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:14 pm

I have both a L96 and an M14. I am thinking of upgrading one of them as a sniper and selling the other. Right now I am leaning towards the M14, because it is full-auto for if I get into a pinch. I am looking for some advise from you guys who have experience with sniper rifles in helping me decied which rifle will be the most effective and cheaper to upgrade.

General Patton said it best; Don't die for your country, make the other poor bastard die for his.
ericthegreat

Re: Which sniper should I upgrade

Postby vulrath » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:22 pm

What brand is everything? That would be one of the deciding factors in the answer.

While the M14 may have full-auto, at the FPS you're going to have to be putting out, unless you're playing in a no-FPS limit game (in which case you probably wouldn't have much of a one-up on the competition) you're going to be forced to stay semi-only by FPS limit rules that most fields have in place. My point is that if you choose the M14 your full auto capability will be useless and you might as well remove it altogether.

As for which gun you should use, just consider this: the L96 was designed from the start to be a dedicated sniper rifle. The M14...Not so much.

I have a UTG L96 that's shooting 550 FPS. Where I play, it is right at the upper limit of what is legal on our field. That means that I have a 100 foot engagement distance, and if my target enters that 100 foot radius, I have to either allow my backup to take him out or switch to another gun and use that. It is for that reason that I carry two sidearms (a TM P90RDS and a KJW SIG P226R, in case you care).
vulrath

Postby ericthegreat » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:29 am

TSD L96 and echo 1 M14
General Patton said it best; Don't die for your country, make the other poor bastard die for his.
ericthegreat

Postby Snipe » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:04 am

ok.....burn the echo1 M14...i had one...wow it was terrible. Being a sniper myself and having owned both an E1 L96 and an E1 m14....the l96 takes the cake. The M14 would jam up, selector switch was terrible and would go only full auto, parts were very bad, and not worth upgrading. The L96 on the other hand can be a diamond hiding under layers of coal. Buy an L96 PDI hop-up unit form AirsoftAtlanta or that guy on the forums trying to sell his stuff....Which is a great deal btw. After that...you need to buy a TB barrel, and since the PDI accepts all AEG barrels...you have all the choices in the world. With those 2 upgrades alone...you will see an amazing difference and depending on your skill level...its possible to own with that thing. I would touch the spring as the FPS it puts out is good enough and with other parts such as piston, cylinder, etc. you can get more fps by increasing the seal. When you do upgrade try to stick with 1 company for all the parts...they tend to work very well together.
Snipe

Postby vulrath » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:13 am

I'd have to agree, though my experience was with a Classic Army M14. The PDI hop up owns all once its set properly (I'm hitting out to damned near 300 feet at around 550 FPS; my KJW M700 isn't nearly as accurate at the same speeds, even though I've replaced the hop, the barrel, and fitted it with a regulated CO2 rig).

Though I'm not sure E1 even has a non-AEG sniper rifle.

Here we go...My current parts list for my UTG L96 (all I can say is be ready to tinker and play and think outside the box on some of this stuff):

UTG MK96 base
Stock Maruzen receiver
Stock Maruzen outer barrel
PDI hop up chamber
Guarder black hop bucking (cheap, yet extremely effective)
Deepfire 6.04mm 550mm barrel (soon to be replaced with a Madbull 509mm)
Custom hop up nub made from dremeled-down drill bit
FF Tri-Element Piston
Guarder precision piston head
Classic Army spring guide (I got rid of the spring guide rod and threw this in there because I needed a metal spring guide and I had this lying around)
PDI barrel spacers
scope rings salvaged from NcSTAR 4-9x50 scope
Tasco rimfire 4x32 scope
550 fps spring (neither I nor the guy I acquired it from know what the power of the spring is, or what brand it is, but we know that it'll put a rifle with a tightbore at around 550 with a 0.20g BB (our field's limit)).
UTG stock cylinder (I was building this rifle on the cheap at the time, and decided to use the stock cylinder until it broke and replace it then rather than spend money I didn't have at the time)
stock Maruzen cylinder head (I found out the hard way that the UTG one is too thick to use in the PDI chamber)
KA silencer adapter

This is the amalgamation of parts that I ended up with while trying to get parts on the cheap. The stock Maruzen parts and my PDI chamber I got from Sniper after he got rid of his Type 96. I suggest replacing the outer barrel and receiver (if at all, because the stock ones are actually really good) with PDI parts, and the cylinder head with Laylax/First Factory.

The spring I have is probably on par with (if it isn't actually) a Laylax 170 spring.
Last edited by vulrath on Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
vulrath

Postby Snipe » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:16 am

LOL wow im sorry...I had a UTG lol wow im a retard.
Snipe

Return to Sniper Rifles