[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
TN Airsoft Forums • View topic - G&G G96? Discuss AEGs Sniper Rifles Tactical Gear

G&G G96?

Discussion of Airsoft Sniper Rifles

Moderators: dogsoldier, Skidude, Sniper

G&G G96?

Postby Oven Gnome » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:57 pm

I was planning on buying a sniper pretty soon, so I talked to some friends who have had some, and one of them suggested the G&G G96. Im hesitant to get it because its a wopping $400. Another person said that it did'nt come with HPA. Is it really worth it?

Oven Gnome

Re: G&G G96?

Postby vulrath » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:23 pm

The G96 is a clone of the Tanaka M700 AICS, if memory serves, with all the upgrade parts that G&G makes for the Tanaka preinstalled (outer barrel, striker spring, power bolt, etc.). All you would need to do is replace the inner barrel, hop bucking (you might also need a new King Arms/2ROY hop chamber), and drill and tap your gun for CO2/HPA (at the pressures we use, it doesn't matter what we use). Well worth the money you pay for it, if you upgrade it right (and if this is true).

I've been meaning to get a G96 mag and try it in my KJW. I'd suggest you wait on your decision/purchase until after I've done this (I plan on purchasing in the next week or two). If this is true, then that would not only confirm parts compatibility, but also open you up to a whole new world of accessories (mags, etc.). In theory, this would also mean that you could switch your stock with one from a real Remmy 700 if you wanted to, thus meaning that you have essentially 2 guns in 1 package.[

$400 is about the middle of the spectrum for gas rifles as far as price goes. Tanaka and ARES are the highest price brands ($450-600+), KJW and WELL are at the lower end of the price spectrum ($150-250; still great rifles, though). I believe there may be more out there, but I don't know the brand names. Regardless, G&G makes a good product (always have), and while I won't say you can't go wrong with them, you more than likely won't regret it (if you do indeed like sniping).
vulrath

Postby Oven Gnome » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:12 am

Ok so it sounds like this gun would be great! But I don't know how to take my guns apart (if I did, I would probably screw it up). Would my local store (Parafrog) drill and whatnot my gun for HPA? And where could I get the hop up bucking and inner barrel?
Oven Gnome

Postby vulrath » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:05 am

Honestly, while now I could take most ay gun apart with a little bit of effort, the M700 action is so bloody easy to break down, you'll wish everything was that easy.

It couldn't hurt to ask, but you'd have to build the HPA rig yourself (not hard; just look on ASF for Brainplay's "constructing an air rig" thread.). Worst-case-scenario, you have to do that all on your own (absurdly easy; the hardest part is drilling the hole, and that's a piece of cake; I've done it with a drill press, and then Ive done it sitting on the floor in a garage with a hand drill and a wood vise).
vulrath

Postby Fridge Gnome » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:29 am

I can work on it for you if you need me too.

I would suggest that before you invest 500+ dollars into a sniper, make sure you want to be a sniper first.
Fridge Gnome

Postby vulrath » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:49 am

Forgot to mention that. Before you go gas, you might want to get some experience under your belt with spring rifles (this could consist of borrowing someone's rifle for a game, or it could consist of building and tuning your own springer). The point is to make sure that you want to stick with it before you dump thousands of dollars into your guns (like others here have; I have over $1500 in guns myself, the majority of that being my two sniper rifles).

The gas (sniper rifle) systems generally consist of 3 assemblies: the bolt, barrel/hop assembly, and magazine. None of these are nearly as complex as your typical AEG. Strip the gun from its stock if/when you do get it (also look at the exploded diagram that they provide in the back of the manual); it'll become painfully obvious how simple these systems are.
vulrath

Postby Oven Gnome » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:11 am

I've never liked the high-intense CQB, and always enjoyed far-range sniping. I'm sure this is the way to go. And thanks Fridge for the offer. And you said it's a M700 model? I thought it was modeled after the L96? But hearng that it's simple makes me feel ALOT better :D
Oven Gnome

Postby vulrath » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:16 am

Basically, if it's based off of the Tanaka, then what they did was use an M700 action, and then redesign the stock. It is easier for them to do this than build yet another action (besides, the M700 action was a really big hit; by using it, they made fans of both the L96 and the M700 happy), and the end result is extremely similar, if not the same.
vulrath

Postby Xephyr » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:01 pm

For what it's worth, if's anywhere close to the Tanaka M700 AICS performance wise, it'll shoot absolutely beautifully. I just got mine (the Tanaka) in yesterday, from Tokyo Model Co (Hong Kong) for $450 with free shipping.

huge pic, cellphone quality, taken in the middle of the orange paint removal session.

Ordered it Saturday, showed up on Wednesday. Already have the G&G power pack coming, got the KA hop chamber in today. Already have an air rig, but need a regulator. All that's left is barrel and bucking.
Former professional gun tech. I give free repair and upgrade advice. PM me with any questions or issues.
Xephyr

Postby vulrath » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:15 pm

Slightly off topic, but I've been told that the stock on the Tanaka AICS is trash. Is this true, or is it just someone who really hates L96 stocks talking?
vulrath

Postby Xephyr » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:24 pm

Having actually held and shot a real steel M700 bolted onto an AICS, it's not bad at all. It's not quite Maruzen L96 quality, but it feels nice. My only real complaint with it is that even though it comes 'tan' from Tanaka Works, it's not actually a tan polymer. It's black that's repainted tan
Former professional gun tech. I give free repair and upgrade advice. PM me with any questions or issues.
Xephyr

Postby Oven Gnome » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:20 pm

I just got back from a day of airsoft, and tested out some snipers. I have come to this: Sniping is impossible! Its so hard. I dont get it. Im just gonna stick to my M4s and AEGs.
Oven Gnome

Return to Sniper Rifles