[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
TN Airsoft Forums • View topic - I Ended up Buying Too Much Scope... Discuss AEGs Sniper Rifles Tactical Gear

I Ended up Buying Too Much Scope...

Discussion of Airsoft Sniper Rifles

Moderators: dogsoldier, Skidude, Sniper

I Ended up Buying Too Much Scope...

Postby DRAGON64 » Wed May 12, 2010 8:28 pm

So how much scope is too much scope for an airsoft sniper kit?

Case in point: For my next build, I opted to get the Leapers 5th Gen/UTG TS Platform 3-9X50 from Optics Planet: http://www.opticsplanet.net/leapers-5th ... s-coa.html

...but they notified me today that the scope was out of stock till the end of May. Being the impatient man that I am, I cancelled my order and proceded to look for another. I went and found the Centerline 4-16X40 at WalMart online: http://www.walmart.com/ip/CenterPoint-4 ... u=10248654

Nicer looking than the Leapers, but way to much scope for an airsoft noob such as myself. How much is too much, I read here that 4X32 would have been plenty: http://www.wikihow.com/Be-an-Airsoft-Sniper

DRAGON64

Re: I Ended up Buying Too Much Scope...

Postby vulrath » Wed May 12, 2010 8:48 pm

You're usually not going to use more than 4x magnification on your scope when shooting, but for recon, you're usually going to use much more than that. I've always used either 3/9x40 or 3-9x50 scopes, but the 3-9x40 Golden image rubberized scopes are what I'm going to be picking up pretty soon here to use on both of my sniper rifles. I had one of them a while back (this was back before it was called the Golden Image line) and loved it and wish I'd kept it.
vulrath

Postby Xephyr » Wed May 12, 2010 8:59 pm

I use one of these: http://www.tufforce.com/product.cgi?group=22&product=23

Eventually I will get one of these: http://www.gp-web.com/en/productspop.php?pid=1345 Not because it's going to be any more functional, just because it's flashy. I might use the illuminated reticules in low light situations, but that's about it.

As long as you've got functional elevation/windage and 3-4x magnification, you'll be fine for airsoft. Anything more than that and you'll be seeing much farther than you can shoot. (Not necessarily bad if you're just scouting, though.) Adjustable objectives/parallax, illuminated reticles, and huge 50mm tubes are cool for real steel but serious overkill for us.
Former professional gun tech. I give free repair and upgrade advice. PM me with any questions or issues.
Xephyr

Postby DRAGON64 » Thu May 13, 2010 11:57 am

One of the pluses (for me) about having the ability to zoom, is being able to use it while plinking...I tend to shoot around 4 to 4.5 zoom, but I use the 9 zoom to check my target from afar to see if I am hitting where I am aiming... doubles as a spotter's scope I guess.

Speaking of flash, I hope to be able to find a sun shade for the Centerpoint scope, to add some dimension to the already large scope... doesn't mean I'll be any better a shooter with it then without, but at least it will look imtimidating for a while.
DRAGON64

Postby Fridge Gnome » Tue May 25, 2010 11:16 am

You cant really have too much, but you want to make sure you still have a 3-4x setting, its pretty cool to be able to zoom in extremely far.
Fridge Gnome

Return to Sniper Rifles