[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
TN Airsoft Forums • View topic - Why? Discuss AEGs Sniper Rifles Tactical Gear

Why?

Discussion of Airsoft Sniper Rifles

Moderators: dogsoldier, Skidude, Sniper

Why?

Postby reloaded recon4 » Wed May 19, 2010 7:20 pm

O.K. i'm gonna try to not make this too big a deal but.Someone posts in this sniper section they want to get a sniper.People who give good advice to that said person is fine but on almost every post their are people saying ,''Is this your first gun'' ''you probably wont like sniping because it takes a lot of money to make a good sniper''.The people wanting to know about a gun just want to know about the gun they don't want your advice because if they read any other post in the sniper section they'll surely see wat someones already said.You don't have to put the same thing in every dang thread about sniping it just clutters it.so you people out there almost 99% of the people that post a thread on here already know this.I'm just sick of seeing the same thing posted on every thread when I'm going through some to see if the guns any good.

reloaded recon4

Re: Why?

Postby vulrath » Wed May 19, 2010 10:40 pm

Why? Why do people post "what sniper rifle is better" threads, when all the information (in fact, more information than some will ever need to know) is right there in front of them and all they have to do is search and read (in case you haven't noticed, we've pretty much given up on telling people to use the search function)? That's because a lot of people don't do their research. They'd rather be lazy and have someone spoon-feed them the answers, and then push people to provide direct links to where they can find each part for the cheapest on the internet. I don't know about you, but before I made my first purchase of anything larger than a sidearm, I scoured the net for an entire week comparing prices, looking up and reading reviews, and comparing viable options. I researched upgrades for my L96 (setting up an upgrade plan) for about a month before I even started buying anything. In short: we keep putting the "same thing" in every damned thread because people keep making new threads to ask the same damned thing.

Because so many people do this, we make a point to ask that. There's a subtext there: How long have you been playing? We're trying to keep new players in the sport longer by telling them that they should start out with something with we know for a fact they'll enjoy: an AEG. While there may be some people out there that know for a fact that they want to snipe off the bat, the majority of newcomers think they want to snipe and end up either changing their minds and not buying the rifle, or buying the rifle and regretting it later.

When I play sniper, I get maybe 5-6 kills ALL DAY, and . It's not because my equipment isn't up to par (far from it, in fact), or because I'm not good enough of a shot, but because my primary job is to provide information when and where I can, and getting kills falls to a secondary or sometimes tertiary objective. A sniper that fires is more than half the time caught and killed easily (100' MED + only one shot at a time + very little backup + 5-man unit advancing and flanking you = bad = you walking back to spawn), and the rest of the time they're covered sufficiently to defend against a smaller (IE 2-3 man) attacking force. Most new players think sniping is like what they see in video games and movies, but only when they get out there and see their friends rushing into battle while they sit essentially on the sidelines watching the show do they realize that they made a huge mistake and made what to most of them is a huge monetary investment in this sniper rifle that will probably never get used again, and was pretty much the entirety of the money they were willing to budget toward airsoft. This is, in fact, the reason why we also tell people to see if they can borrow someone else's upgraded sniper rifle and see if that play style is for them.

As to the upgrade cost thing, the problem is that most people see the cost of a clone sniper rifle, the FPS rating from the manufacturer, and nothing else. We merely apprise them of the ACTUAL cost to get that gun shooting better than the AEG sitting right next to it, and that it won't be nearly as cheap or as easy as they thought, and they need to know this (while I won't say "you won't like sniping because its expensive," I will make sure they know that sniping in airsoft really is a money pit, and that it'll cost them a pretty penny to get their rifles where they want it; they can make their own informed decision from there). I own a couple of sniper rifles, one spring and one gas, and the spring rifle has a total of TWO stock parts: the stock and the cylinder. The rest has been upgraded, because it was necessary, either because it was my intention to replace it (piston, spring guide, etc.), or because something broke(trigger, my first aftermarket piston and spring guide). The gas gun hasn't had much replaced simply because there isn't much there to be replaced. I have spent at a bare minimum $500 on each rifle after upgrades and repairs (its going to happen, you also have to make peace with the fact that something is guaranteed to give out eventually).

By the way, I'm a member of ASF, and they tell people pretty much the same thing, except "which gun" threads have been banned there except when a large amount of research has been done and the list of potentials has been reduced to a handful of guns and there are a whole lot more knowledgeable people around.
vulrath

Postby reloaded recon4 » Thu May 20, 2010 5:07 am

Yeah I here what your saying maybe we should kinda head towards ASF's direction by Just having one topic on each gun so I don't get Po'd that theres sooo many different sniper posts with little information.
reloaded recon4

Postby DRAGON64 » Thu May 20, 2010 5:58 am

DRAGON64

Postby Xephyr » Thu May 20, 2010 6:50 am

Image: HAY I WANT A SNIPER I HAVE A BUDGET OF $150 WAT DO I GET?????!?!?!?!?11///
Image: You don't want a sniper for you first gun. You don't have the budget or patience.
Image: I BOUGHT A <UTG/JG/HFC/whatever> WAT DO I DO NOW?!?!/
Image: (Audible sigh) You need <list of parts totaling over $500>
Image: TOO EXPENSIVE I BOUGHT A SCOPE AND BIPOD INSTEAD YAY
Image: (days later) I WENT AND PLAYED AND SNIPING SUX BECUAZE IT SUX
Image: Image
Image: (in For Sale subforum) SELLING SNIPAR BRAND NEW WITH SCOPE AND BIPOD $200 OR TRADE FOR AEG

REPEAT AD INFINITUM
Former professional gun tech. I give free repair and upgrade advice. PM me with any questions or issues.
Xephyr

Postby xandman » Thu May 20, 2010 8:35 am

Friendly neighborhood armorer
Leader of team "yakuza"
忠誠心 , å誉 , å°Šé‡ , 正義 , 勇敢 , 慈悲
Irene VI, Irene VII (squad leader), Northern wind V, Northern wind VI(squad leader)
Remember " Big D" "1978-2009"
xandman

Postby reloaded recon4 » Thu May 20, 2010 1:56 pm

Question answered I guess but really can people not go to the snipers section and take the same amount of time doing a new post searching and seeing that they need money.I mean jeez use your fingers,are they too lazy to use the scroll bar?I don't understand some people.
reloaded recon4

Postby Xephyr » Thu May 20, 2010 4:01 pm

Former professional gun tech. I give free repair and upgrade advice. PM me with any questions or issues.
Xephyr

Return to Sniper Rifles