[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
TN Airsoft Forums • View topic - Field rules concerning "Modified" AEG Snipers and DMR's Discuss AEGs Sniper Rifles Tactical Gear

Field rules concerning "Modified" AEG Snipers and DMR's

Discussion of Airsoft Sniper Rifles

Moderators: dogsoldier, Skidude, Sniper

Field rules concerning "Modified" AEG Snipers and DMR's

Postby slarge07 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:21 pm

Ok, so I know this is probably an obvious question, but I don't want to assume in ignorance, so I thought I would throw it up for discussion for the education of all. In some field rules that have been copied and pasted from others that were copied from who knows where they say the following

"All sniper weapons must be semi only and not able to fire full auto. A Sniper must carry a Sniper Rifle and a sidearm. NO MODIFIED AEGs will be allowed as a Sniper Rifle. Sniper rifles must be fielded by pre-approved players for the role of sniper, and weapons used must be pre-approved as well. Anyone caught violating this rule will be asked to leave the game immediately. "

In caps "NO MODIFIED AEGs" What exactly is a modified aeg? The rules don't say bolt action only but semi only. If I have something like an sr25 that's obviously an aeg and its been "modified" to be semi only but the fps is over the 380fps limit then...what? The saw can be full auto at 415fps, but its obviously not a saw so where does it fit? There is no official DMR classification. Of course the distance rule applies to snipers due to the fps and the role of a sniper. I'm just a bit confused. And I haven't been to any games thus far where anyone was a "pre-approved" for an official sniper role. People just show up and if they want to snipe one round, they just gather up to the briefing with their sniper rifle.

I know some of the questions have 'DUH' answers, but it may help clarify to anyone else with confusion. Lets hear it!

EDIT: I did find that TAS in the tri-cities had this listed in their rules. "Bolt Action Sniper Rifles and Semi-Auto Only DMR’s NOTHING EXCEEDING 460 fps on .34’s and you will abide by a 100 ft. MED Organizers may use discretion in allowing players to use airsoft weapons of this type. Contact them privately if you have questions. "

KWA SR10
CA25 URX
slarge07

Re: Field rules concerning "Modified" AEG Snipers and DMR's

Postby Katana » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:07 am

I've found that any problems like this can be solved really easily by talking to a field owner via PM before a game. I have done this about small things several times, and it's always worked out fine.
"Men get arrested. Dogs get put down." - Rorschach
Katana

Postby Cypher5018 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:46 pm

100 foot med is a joke. That is mid range with most aegs. Now, 40-60, sure, 100? I will say so eff yourself and leave.

I play in an indoor field, and our FPS max is 420. I dont want to hear whining from a big outdoor field. My SR25 shoots semi and full auto, at 405fps, and is a DMR. Any AEG can be a DMR and saying that no 'modified aeg's are allowed as a sniper is obvious BS and they dont know what they are talking about. A M14 modified to be a sniper is perfectly acceptable. I can understand making it where your required to only have semi auto though.
Cypher5018

Postby Xephyr » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:22 am

Former professional gun tech. I give free repair and upgrade advice. PM me with any questions or issues.
Xephyr

Postby slarge07 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:18 am

Very interesting and well thought out. So the question is still up about what exactly is a "modified" aeg. And why they aren't allowed. Thanks for the response guys!
KWA SR10
CA25 URX
slarge07

Postby vulrath » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:33 am

When field owners specifically call out "modified AEGs", I believe them to be talking about "That Guy" who has his M4 shooting 30+ RPS at 550 FPS and wants to call himself a sniper. Now for reasons that I hope are obvious, said field owners can't/won't allow this to happen.

People have no problem with purpose-built AEG-based sniper rifles (PSG-1, MSG-90, G3-SG1, etc.); in fact, the only sniper rifles that I've seen get more "ooh, cool!" attention are the Tanaka/KJW-based gas sniper rifles. I have been to more than one game with AEG sniper rifles on the field (actually almost bought one earlier in the summer) without a single hitch, because those rifles were filling the roles they were designed for.
vulrath

Postby Matthias » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:41 pm

Matthias

Postby Cypher5018 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:53 pm

Ok, this is true, and I agree a gun shooting a retardedly high FPS should have a large MED. But as far as I am concerened, and at all the fields even remotely close to me have a NO GUN OVER 475 EVER policy, it dont affect me much.

When a airsoft gun surpasses the FPS of my old competition rifle in highschool ROTC, there is a BIG effing problem and I refuse to even play if its on the field. (My rifle was at 600FPS for target shooting.)

I just dont see EVER warranting a airsoft gun that can even REMOTELY get in the 400's with a .43. I do believe that if you used .20 rounds, that would be approaching the speed of my .22 sub sonic rounds... and that is a crock.

Then again, if you plan on sitting 400 feet away, I guess it has a point.
Cypher5018

Postby Xephyr » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:34 pm

You're missing the fact that air rifles and .22's shoot a MUCH heavier projectile.

A 600fps air rifle shooting 8gr pellets (~0.51g) is putting out 8.5J of KE at the muzzle. 70% more kinetic energy than my Tanaka.

A .22 caliber Aguila SSS round, 3.9 grams @ ~900fps, is 175J at the muzzle. 3500% more KE at the muzzle than my Tanaka.

400fps with a 0.43g is about 600fps with a 0.20g, around 300fps shy of even the slowest subsonic 0.22's (like the Aguila SSS, noted above)

Sitting 400 feet away would be stupid to do even if you had a 1000+fps airsoft rifle since physics will not allow a BB to physically fly that far with current technology.
Former professional gun tech. I give free repair and upgrade advice. PM me with any questions or issues.
Xephyr

Postby chrisdetrin » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:06 pm

▲
▲ ▲
guns:Asahi M60,TM P90,TM m16a1 with King arms M203,TM Glock 26, KWA sr-10 with CA m203, Echo1 249,m4a1,UTG l96s, UTG trishot.
chrisdetrin

Postby Cypher5018 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:50 pm

Your right, but still, I dont think anyone really "needs" a sniper shooting that hard...considering that the longest of airsoft shots will be about 3-400, and most are 150-300 feet. Idk.
Cypher5018

Postby vulrath » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:47 pm

I disagree. While a 400-foot shot isn't as easy as we'd like, you also have to remember that 300 feet (100 yards) is a long distance. Most other fields will have maximum FPS limits for sniper rifles of 550 FPS with 0.20g's (and that's usually enough to make 275-300 foot shots, depending on how the hop is set up), so when you think about it, 600 FPS isn't really all that much more.

Try making a 300-foot shot with a gun shooting 400 FPS with 0.20g's. You'll notice that whether your shots hit is (pardon the pun) kind of hit-or-miss. This is because of the (in this case vast) difference in range and effective range. Snipers tend to try their best to get the absolute maximum effective range they can by upping their FPS and getting the internals of the hop chamber to perform as consistently as possible (usually by either replacing it or gutting it). While you could technically do it with a 500 FPS rifle, it is significantly harder than trying to do it with a gun shooting 550 or 600 FPS. I wish I could further demonstrate this by dropping a stock UTG L96 in your hands and having you shoot it (no real power, accuracy, or consistency in the hop), then letting you shoot my custom L96 shooting 550 with a 0.20g (or a stock KJW M700 and then my upgraded one that has external air - that one has a lot of power, but no accuracy or consistency). You'd notice the difference almost immediately.

There is always Option C...Just don't play at that field (Option A is to put up with it, and Option B is try to change it). I know Xephyr is always going to be shooting field limits (whatever that may be), and I know all 3 of my sniper rifles will always be tuned to shoot as effectively as possible as close to my local field's limits (550 with 0.20g's) as I can get them. If you don't like this, don't come to those games. It's that simple.
vulrath

Postby SpinalSynopsis » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:13 pm

What about something like Kart's M14 ebr that can be either semi-auto or full auto? Would you be allowed to use something like that on semi even if it had the capability of firing on full-auto as a sniper?
SpinalSynopsis

Postby vulrath » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:41 pm

It would have to be modified to shoot semi-only, end of story. Gearbox has the capability to go full auto, but the player can't have easy access to the use of such features.
vulrath

Postby SpinalSynopsis » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:33 pm

That's awesome to know at least. Could you use a full-auto M14 ebr as an assault rifle or even a support weapon (with a 400 clip mag) if it shoots between 350-400 fps? (sorry I'm new to the game/rules and am trying to figure it out)
SpinalSynopsis

Next

Return to Sniper Rifles