[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
TN Airsoft Forums • View topic - Sniper rifle advice/dilemna, please read and help!! Discuss AEGs Sniper Rifles Tactical Gear

Sniper rifle advice/dilemna, please read and help!!

Discussion of Airsoft Sniper Rifles

Moderators: dogsoldier, Skidude, Sniper

Sniper rifle advice/dilemna, please read and help!!

Postby Devildog » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:17 pm

Well, my younger brother is getting into airsoft and is dead set on an airsoft sniper rifle. We went on Airsoft GI and ordered him an AGM MK96 (L96) with scope in Olive Drab, well, OD was sold out and when I told him this, he was interested in the black version of the same gun. Well I noticed that the Socom Gear R700 is only $72 and I've heard it's better than the AGM (no scope with the Socom though). However, it only shoots 280 FPS with a .20 gram bb. That just isn't enough to shoot at airsoft sniper ranges. He is new and only needs a starter gun, but what I'd like to know is what upgrades and how easy are they to install to bring the gun to shoot in the neighborhood of 350-400 FPS? I've not done any real airsoft internal work, is there anyone who will be at the next TAS game who might have the expertise to install parts recommended to me? Please include links if possible

Forrest's TN Rifles 43rd Regiment "Boone's Rifles-The Grey Ghosts"
Mtn. Men Malitia

"Ghost" Balaclava

KWA M4A1 Carbine, Tan furniture

Cerebral Hemorrhoids, is what occurs when one has his head up his arse too long
Devildog

Re: Sniper rifle advice/dilemna, please read and help!!

Postby Fluffy Boy 32 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:05 am

Armory:
-PolarStar'd VFC 635 w/ R-Hop
-KWA USP Compact
-Custom Zombie Killer KJW 1911
Fluffy Boy 32

Postby Fridge Gnome » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:49 am

All or almost all bolt action sniper rifle are not ready to use out of the box, the echo1 M28 is looking to be the best out of the box BASR and might be able to outrange an AEG. However to get a proper sniper rifle that can out range an AEG and maintain accuracy you will have to heavily upgrade and modify the gun.

If this is his first gun I would highly recommend an AEG, if he is dead set on the sniper/dm role then I would get a M14 or something like fluffy mentioned.
Fridge Gnome

Postby kirzach » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:25 am

If he's just getting his feet wet, DO NOT buy him a sniper rifle. That is a guaranteed way to get him out of the sport. He will get his hands on it, stock and unupgraded, having high expectations for super-1337 accuracy and range out of the box, and he will be sorely disappointed. Most people don't seem to realize it, but most good airsoft sniper rifles require extensive upgrading and, if nothing else, fine-tuning to get the most performance out of them.

If he wants something that's accurate but is more reliable and takes a lot less work to maintain and use, get him something like an M16 with a tightbore. He'll still have great range and accuracy, but he won't have the problems (not to mention the financial requirements) that come with building a sniper rifle.
Š”.Š¢.Š.Š›.Šš.Š•.Š . (S.T.A.L.K.E.R.) - Monolith Black Guards Unit

Fraud Mods - Bringing down the hammer on self-righteous punks that think they're above the rules. Making the world a better place, one ass-kicking at a time.
kirzach

Postby Fluffy Boy 32 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:41 am

Also, The good side to buying an AEG DMR is that once upgraded to its highest ability, it will be a WHOLE lot cheaper than it would've been to buy a stock sniper rifle and upgrade it to its max. I personally would buy an M16 unless he is a big kid and won't mind carrying around the weight of the M14. The SR-25 is also another excellent choice.

I would recommend a Marui M14 because that thing can out range just about anything. The G&G M14 is also a good contender. Being that there arent a lot of companies that make an M14, just about anything you choose will serve you well. I will say this, when buying a gun, "You get what you pay for". So don't go buying a CYMA M14 expecting it to be AMAZING. The G&G is the middle man. Good performance, high realism, lower price. Then you move up to the G&P and Marui which are amazing and have a high price. Whatever you do though...Don't get the Classic Army. For some reason when they copied the G&G design, the did it very poorly and from what I've heard they are total garbage after something breaks. If you want compatibility and cheaper magazines then I would tell you to spend the extra money on a G&P or Marui because the magazines for G&G are close to $30 but there is a rumor floating around that MAG is making magazines for them. Only time will tell...

Hope all of us have answered your question!
Armory:
-KWA USP Compact
Fluffy Boy 32

Postby phucheneh » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:13 pm

just get him the best m4 you can afford, and let him play first. then he can decide if he wants to use it as 'battle rifle' or a sniper rifle. as mentioned, it's a lot easier to mod an AEG to snipe than a spring gun (sort of- depends on how hardcore you want to go), and if nothing else, he won't be out much for the base AEG in comparison to what a sniper will cost.

only thing that might be useable off the shelf is the echo m28, and it could still use a barrel and bucking, so you're talking a good 250 bucks, and he's still going to have a hard time competing with modded AEGs.
phucheneh

Postby DRAGON64 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:22 am

DRAGON64

Postby phucheneh » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:51 pm

i wasn't too satisfied with the stock barrel. was unaware it was a 6.03. now i'm definately going to chop it down and use it in a GBB.

stock bucking is junk. mine had ragged edges all over it and it just had no consistency.

stock, the gun's barely got the range of 450-500fps (i.e. 425 with .25's, BK limits) AEG's. if he can't significantly outrange them and he's having to firing single shots, he's probably going to get shot. a lot.
phucheneh

Postby DRAGON64 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:06 am

DRAGON64

Postby Dannick » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:46 pm

Not to be "that guy", but there really isn't a stock sniper rifle that is good enough to skirmish and actually be competitive. If you know of one, then let me know. And honestly, with the performance of the M28, from what I've seen at least, it is not gonna have the accuracy or range to beat a full auto AEG.

Random thing I remembered, but this reminds me of this new player at Bad Karma that was sniping next to me with his brand new UTG L96, bone-stock, and I was using my Tanaka (300'+ range). He kept 'pretending' to be hitting people from 200'+, though I could clearly see his white (probably .2s) BBs hitting the ground much earlier than that, and even then not with much consistency. Gotta love that imagination.

Honestly, most people will enjoy a good AEG much more than a sniper rifle that they have to sink a bunch of money into to even consider being effective.

Systema PTW
VFC HK416
KSC USPc
KSC G19
Dannick

Postby Devildog » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:31 pm

haha we went with a JG G36, he may get into sniping when he has a job and Im not lending him money to get a gun haha
Forrest's TN Rifles 43rd Regiment "Boone's Rifles-The Grey Ghosts"
Mtn. Men Malitia

"Ghost" Balaclava

KWA M4A1 Carbine, Tan furniture

Cerebral Hemorrhoids, is what occurs when one has his head up his arse too long
Devildog

Postby DRAGON64 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:06 am

DRAGON64

Postby NOWWHATSUCCER? » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:46 pm

I am selling my echo 1 m14 It shoots about 125 FPS all it needs is a battery and a rear wire. Here is the link

http://www.golsn.com/listings/outdoor_a ... 77149.html
NOWWHATSUCCER?

Postby redneckemt » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:39 pm

redneckemt

Postby Fluffy Boy 32 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:29 am

Armory:
-KWA USP Compact
Fluffy Boy 32

Return to Sniper Rifles