[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
TN Airsoft Forums • View topic - Sniper Rifle for Plinking Discuss AEGs Sniper Rifles Tactical Gear

Sniper Rifle for Plinking

Discussion of Airsoft Sniper Rifles

Moderators: dogsoldier, Skidude, Sniper

Sniper Rifle for Plinking

Postby Fluffy Boy 32 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:30 am

I've been looking around for a Gas Sniper Rifle that isn't very expensive to just mess around with in the back yard and at my grandfather's farm. I've been looking at various guns and I found the WELL L96. I know its not that greatest brand in the world but it has potential. I may end up actually using the rifle for skirmishes in the future so I'm looking to find a rifle that relatively cheap but has good promise for upgrades...

I'm new to the whole Gas gun thing. I know that you have to keep them very lubbed and that you have to use Green Gas or Propane mixed with silicon oil but I'm curious to see how they work.

Here is the main rifle I'm looking at.
http://www.airsplat.com/Items/GR-WELL-G96-AWM.htm

If there are any other Gas rifles that you would recommend that wouldn't be too expensive then let me know. I'm not trying to get a skirmish weapon, just something for target practice but has potential to be upgraded and is very realistic (hence why I chose this one).

And please, Don't come in here saying, "DON'T BUY A SNIPER RIFLE UNLESS YOU HAVE A LOT OF MONEY TO SPEND. YOU WON'T LIKE SNIPING, IT'S NOT LIKE COD".
I understand this, I'm just wanting this to mess around with in the back yard. I have a break barrel Hunting Pellet gun and it sucks having to break the barrel every shot and it would he much nicer to just pull the bolt back real quick and it feels more realistic. I may upgrade it in the future but until then, Just a gun for plinking...

If there are any other guns that are good Gas Snipers Rifles that won't break the bank but have upgrade potential then let me know.

Edit: It's a copy of the Ares Design if that does it any justice...

Armory:
-PolarStar'd VFC 635 w/ R-Hop
-KWA USP Compact
-Custom Zombie Killer KJW 1911
Fluffy Boy 32

Re: Sniper Rifle for Plinking

Postby Fluffy Boy 32 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:31 am

Also, While your here. Could someone enlighten me on the pros and Cons of Spring and Gas. I already have an M14 DMR which is pretty quiet but I'd like to hear the different sides of Gas and Spring. Thanks!
Armory:
-KWA USP Compact
Fluffy Boy 32

Postby DRAGON64 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:14 pm

For plinking in the backyard I would not do anything but get a WELL MB03, or a TSD SD700, or one of the new release BAR-10 rifles. The WELL L96 series is a good choice too, but is a little heavier than the VSR-10 rifle clones that I listed.

For plinking, you would not need to spend the cash on the gas rifle. Even if you do not upgrade it, you still have to buy gas and adapter etc. Also, gas rifles are 3-parts "fiddle" and 1-part shooting. They are just not workable straight out of the box.

I currently own two scrapyard WELL G96D rifles. These are the units you find on Airsplat for $100 each. Between the two, I was able to put together 1 working G96, and I have a whole slew of spare parts to rely on. So yes, I now own a $250 rifle that I paid $200 for. Over time, I will fix all of the issues that are currenly keeping it from shooting right. I saved $50 on my initial purchase, but I have no doublt I will spend 5 or 6 times that much to make it work right...and then I will add HPA to make it more consistant.

Spring and gas sniper rifles trade off issues for luxuries of owning one or the other, case in point:

1) It is easier to cycle the bolt on a gas rifle than it is the spring rifle -- but for each cycle of the bolt, the springer will shoot more consistantly

2) Gas rifles are bulkier and heavier than spring rifles -- Spring rifles don't need HPA...ever

3) Gas rifles cost more to upgrade than springers -- Springers cost more to upgrade than gassers... unless you own both, then you pick the lesser of two evils

For plinking in the backyard and learning...get the BAR-10 or similar VSR-10 platform, or go with an ASP2 platform...trust me, the cheap rifles will teach you the same lessons as the expensive rifles, so it is better to buy a cheap rifle first... your loss on investment could then be kept to a minimum.

Bottom line...all sniper rifles are crap. If they weren't, then they would all come upgraded as a standard... just to warn you, any rifle you get will be inaccurate, and break soon enough. The trade off is to get a Tokyo Marui for value on your return investment. Unfortunately, one day it will just not shoot hard enough, and then out comes the pocket book.

eep t imple & tupid
DRAGON64

Postby Fluffy Boy 32 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:17 pm

I read a bunch about the UTG MK96 and the WELL MK96. Isn't the UTG just a rebrand of the WELL? If so, Would a WELL be good to upgrade? I'm kinda wanting a little realism but I don't want to pay for the Marui one with the correct magazine placement. I noticed WELL makes an "upgraded" version of their MK96 that has a flutted barrel, mono pod and bipod but no correct magazine placement. Is the WELL version just as upgraded as their standard L96 or should I just run the Marui until it dies and then upgrade? I've also heard about lack of parts for the Marui. Let me know, Thanks.
Armory:
-KWA USP Compact
Fluffy Boy 32

Postby Fluffy Boy 32 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:50 pm

Been reading some things, and I think I'll just take my M14. Upgrade it and save myself some money. I rather dump money into one gun than two. Maybe I'll mess around with my friend's bolt action for a while and see if I would even care for it. I know I love the semi of the M14. Can send rounds down range and quick...

Thanks for saving me money (once again).
BTW, Been watching your M28 videos on YouTube. Keep 'em up. Very informative!
Armory:
-KWA USP Compact
Fluffy Boy 32

Postby vulrath » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:12 am

I know you've already made up your mind here, but I'd like to point out one thing: You do not ever lube a gas sniper rifle, with the exception of the seals in the magazine, and you usually disassemble to do that. Consistency is the name of the game here, and that's why snipers that use gas guns that haven't been converted to CO2/HPA more often than not use propane because it lacks oil.

I've been a KJW M700 guy. Got one and upgraded it (hell, I even have custom-milled parts from Polarstar in the magazine), and now it's shooting pretty (needs a better barrel, but it still gets the BB started on its way from Point A to Point B pretty well for the time being). But I'll be damned if it wasn't finicky as hell during the tweaking phase.
vulrath

Postby Fluffy Boy 32 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:30 am

Armory:
-KWA USP Compact
Fluffy Boy 32

Postby DRAGON64 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:25 am

DRAGON64

Postby vulrath » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:00 pm

Precisely. If you're going unregulated, then propane is your best friend because it's "dry" (no lube). If you're going regulated, then I prefer CO2 - dry, and more portable than HPA since there aren't any 12gr HPA powerlets.
vulrath

Postby NOWWHATSUCCER? » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:08 pm

I would stay away from WELL and gas snipers. I would Get a UTG master sniper or a UTG shadow ops. When I had my shadow ops I shot people at 120 yards. no up grades.
NOWWHATSUCCER?

Postby Fluffy Boy 32 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:09 pm

Armory:
-KWA USP Compact
Fluffy Boy 32

Postby ProfessorCrow » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:29 am

Like Overwatch on Facebook!
Daytona Gun GBB MK48 Custom - KWA MK23 with LAM- TM Spas 12