[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
TN Airsoft Forums • View topic - AEG sniper? Discuss AEGs Sniper Rifles Tactical Gear

AEG sniper?

Discussion of Airsoft Sniper Rifles

Moderators: dogsoldier, Skidude, Sniper

AEG sniper?

Postby silentdeath25 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:16 pm

I'm sick and tired of getting lit up by guys with aeg's when the only thing I can do is reach for my gbb. Not that my gbb is bad, but I want an aeg sniper. Right now I'm looking at SCARs and M4s. I plan to put a new tight bore barrel in it and put a nice 3/9-40 scope on the top rail. I'm lookin for suggestions for attachments an upgrades I might could put on the gun. Also, any gun suggestions I'd like to be $200 or lower because I dont have much $$$ coming in right now. I already have the scope and a nice red dot. I could put a eotech with a qd 3x magnifier also. Let me know what y'all think.

Subscribe to my new youtube channel, help the airsoft community in Memphis grow! Click and subscribe!
silentdeath25

Re: AEG sniper?

Postby Fluffy Boy 32 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:43 pm

Armory:
-PolarStar'd VFC 635 w/ R-Hop
-KWA USP Compact
-Custom Zombie Killer KJW 1911
Fluffy Boy 32

Postby vulrath » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:52 pm

Are you looking to build a TRUE airsoft sniper rifle (single-shot only, field max FPS), or are you looking to build a DMR (middle-of-the-road FPS, usually 3-round burst)? That's the first question you need to address.

If you're looking to build a sniper rifle, then you're going to have a MED of usually 100' at most fields you go to, which will negate most of the advantages of the AEG platforms. You can build quite effective rifles off these systems (prime examples: SR25 and TM/G&P M14 platforms), but the only advantage you'll retain is the ability to make quick follow-up shots. You'll have to remove full-auto entirely.

If you want a DMR, then you'll probably be in a MED bracket all your own - I know on our field it's 50' for DMRs and SAWs. You'll probably need to either do away with full auto or convert to 3-round burst by means of a MOSFET with an onboard microcontroller. Again, these can be quite effective given the proper amount of tuning.

Either of these options is going to cost money - you might as well make peace with that now. An M4/SCAR with a stock gearbox, tightbore barrel and scope does not a sniper make automatically. There is much more to it, and I wouldn't attempt to build either on my own without prior experience working with AEGs.

And Fluffy, you hit the nail on the head. However, I disagree with your assertions about the G&G M14. I have a CA (which uses the same design for the gearbox) and I despise the gearbox. Nothing but problems since Day One, even after dumping $150+ into the gearbox. The Marui is 100% better. Hella expensive, but all around better.
vulrath

Postby Fluffy Boy 32 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:03 pm

Armory:
-KWA USP Compact
Fluffy Boy 32

Postby vulrath » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:29 pm

I believe you may be on to something - CA may have cloned the first-gen version of the G&G. At the time that I acquired it, though, I believe the first-gens were still making up the vast majority of the G&Gs in players' hands. This means that when I was doing my research on why my upgrade results were like they are now (last time I chrono'd the gun, it clocked in at 230 FPS with a 0.20g BB, after installing a 550mm 6.04mm barrel and an M130 spring), everything was pointing to "either you get a good gun that performs amazingly, or you get a lemon that doesn't work right no matter what you do" (which is what I got). I decided that it wasn't worth the effort of cracking it open again to try and fix the glaring compression issues, and it's sat in its box in a random closet since. I recently dug it out and am going to attempt a complete overhaul (again). Who knows; the outcome may well change my opinion.

I've heard tell that the G&P takes it a step further than Marui. Personally, I'd grab the Marui for the stock hop up chamber/bucking, and dump most of the other stuff for seriously upgraded parts.
vulrath

Postby Fluffy Boy 32 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:37 pm

Yeah, The G&P is supposed to be right there with the Marui (if not past). They make a really good M14.

I bet that's what happened, you got a clone of the already bad G&G M14 1st Gen. The Generations after that were nothing but uphill and almost everyone I've talked to that had a REALLY bad problem with their G&G either had a lemon or had a 1st gen.

Good-luck with your new project ;)
Armory:
-KWA USP Compact
Fluffy Boy 32

Postby xandman » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:28 am

Friendly neighborhood armorer
Leader of team "yakuza"
忠誠心 , å誉 , å°Šé‡ , 正義 , 勇敢 , 慈悲
Irene VI, Irene VII (squad leader), Northern wind V, Northern wind VI(squad leader)
Remember " Big D" "1978-2009"
xandman

Postby ShawnB52 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:17 pm

I own a G&P mk14. Its upgraded to the gills and the only gun that I've seen that can outrange it was a tm vsr, I've haven't had the chance to put it up against a tm m14.

To the original poster, if you really want to build a DMR you'll need to do some upgrading. I would start with trying some barrel/bucking combinations to see what kind of range you can get. If you want to take it farther I would go with some new gear, motor, piston, and a little heavier spring to see if that will give you the distance you are looking for.
Op: Falcon (2008) Bluefore
Op: Junior Varsity (2009) Estonia
Op: Maple Leaf (2009) Canadia
Op: D-Day Invasion (2009) German
Op: D-Day Invasion (2010) USA
Fulda Gap (2012) Warsaw Pact
Op: Hat Trick 3 (2013) Tan
Op: Red Storm East II (2013) American
ShawnB52

Return to Sniper Rifles