[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
TN Airsoft Forums • View topic - Red Dot scopes Discuss AEGs Sniper Rifles Tactical Gear

Red Dot scopes

A place to discuss your questions, comments, etc regarding Airsoft Tactical gear: Vests, chest rigs, helmets, boots, radios, goggles, etc.

Moderators: dogsoldier, Skidude, Sniper

Red Dot scopes

Postby Oven Gnome » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:30 pm

I was looking around at some red dots, and was wondering what the difference is between the tube/tunnel red dot, the reflex sight (as seen on ModernWarefare), and aimpoint replicas other than the look.

Oven Gnome

Re: Red Dot scopes

Postby CapnAce86 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:08 pm

There really isn't a huge difference, just preference. With reflex sights, you really can just pull the gun up, keep both eyes open, line the dot up, and pop off some shots. With an aimpoint style, you almost need to close one eye, unless you've got the thing set perfectly and can do the two eye aiming style. It's all just what you like, really. I like to call airsoft red dot sights "battery killers" and a "waste of money." Unless you get one of the NC Star reflex sights for like $20. Although they do look pretty damn sweet.
KWA M4RIS
Novak NeXt M1911 .45
Betty the Shanker
http://www.facebook.com/christopher.cutshall
CapnAce86

Postby BigRed1 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:26 pm

I 1/2 agree with CapnAce. Certainly, they primarily fill out the look of a gun's loadout. Airsoft guns simply aren't accurate enough to be completely zeroed in with any sight. So from that point of view, it's a matter of aesthetic preference.

However, even though not perfectly zeroed, they can aid in quicker target acquisition for lining up your shots. I find mine quite helpful -- but then, I'm a player that needs a lot of help.
Airsoft Elite (ICS) MP5A4
CYMA M1A1 Thompson
KWA Glock 17

"Overkill is underrated"
BigRed1

Postby cypher » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:04 pm

The NC Star Red Dot is a nice little thing to have. (http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.p ... ts_id=3943) It's cheap and effective. Wouldn't really want to spend too much money on a red dot unless you're just going for looks. It's an airsoft gun they can only be so accurate.
cypher

Postby CapnAce86 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:40 pm

KWA M4RIS
Novak NeXt M1911 .45
Betty the Shanker
CapnAce86

Postby vulrath » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:20 pm

Now, I do agree that they'll pretty much all do the same thing in almost the same way (well, the cheap ones; I'm assuming that's what we're talking about here), but I disagree with saying that they're a waste of money. I have a G&P EOTech clone mounted on my WE SCAR (the only gun I have an aftermarket red dot on; I'm not counting the P90 because that came built in), and I have it more because I think the iron sights that came with it are absolutely useless (I can't see anything through them to save my life) than because I think it looks cool (and to me, it does; it looks damned purdy to me, but again, I got it to be used, not admired).

As far as which one is for you, which one do you like the look of best? I mean, I like the look of EOTech clones, so I'm going to continue to get those. You might not, so I suggest you find one that you like externally, then look for a clone brand that's proven to be reliable (NcStar, G&P, etc.).
vulrath

Postby Oven Gnome » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:37 pm

I went to parafrog airsoft, and they said that tufforce was a very good company. I was wither going to get
the 1x40 red/green dot ($45) or the reflex red dot w/ 4 reticles ($55). I've heard that NCstar isn't the best.
Oven Gnome

Postby cypher » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:23 pm

The $20 NC Star is actually quite nice. It's all metal, feels solid and the red/green dots are very clear. I have it on my P90 and it works great.
cypher

Postby Oven Gnome » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:07 am

I am aware of that, but I also want it looking nice. I'm pretty sure that the $20 red dot won't look good on an M4 w/ silencer. No offence. I may get it later when I buy the Galaxy MP5K as my secondary.
Oven Gnome

Postby grant.94 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:59 am

i have a holo sight i like it
"First comes smiles, then comes lies. Last is gunfire." - Roland Deschain
grant.94

Postby CapnAce86 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:43 am

KWA M4RIS
Novak NeXt M1911 .45
Betty the Shanker
CapnAce86

Postby Jackalope » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:05 am

My brother got a low end reflex style red dot, bb broke the lens first game he played with it
formerly known as mtcjustin
Jackalope

Postby Rogue Element » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:47 pm

Some may laugh, but I actually use a Wal-Mart BSA red dot "tube" sight mounted on some of my M4 carry handles (you can buy an inexpensive adaptor to do this) for that very reason, if it gets shot out (which I have seen before), I'm only out $30. As previously stated, red dot sights are only there to provide you with a quick reference for snap shooting. I emphasize "reference" due to the "general" accuracy of airsoft guns. In terms of Reflex/Holographic vs. Tube sights, reflex/holo will give you a little more "situational awareness" as opposed to staring down a tube sight, which can have the same effect of blinders on a horse. But, if you properly train with them (i.e. remember to "search and assess" ala MAGPUL Dynamics), that is a negligible problem.

IMO, Red Dot sights are function first. How you want to "dress" up your weapon in terms of replica style, is secondary.

AMP Tactical puts out some replica sights that are rather inexpensive: i.e. $25 reflex sights from airsoftgi.com.

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.p ... ts_id=6335
"Strike with Chaos!" -Sun Tzu
Rogue Element

Postby CapnAce86 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:32 pm

KWA M4RIS
Novak NeXt M1911 .45
Betty the Shanker
CapnAce86

Postby Jackalope » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:26 pm

I was thinking there might be a way to mount a piece of plexiglass to the front (I happen to have some laying around) just to prevent that sort of thing from happening.
formerly known as mtcjustin
Jackalope

Next

Return to Gear Discussions