Lubing and Silicone

A place to discuss your questions, comments, etc regarding Airsoft Tactical gear: Vests, chest rigs, helmets, boots, radios, goggles, etc.

Moderators: dogsoldier, Skidude, Sniper

Lubing and Silicone

Postby Oven Gnome » Sun May 02, 2010 9:30 am

Some cleaning questions: To lube, would I have to take apart the gun? To clean the barrel, do I just spray some silicone oil on a piece of paper towel, thread it through the cleaning jamming rod tip, and swipe it down the barrel?

Oven Gnome

Re: Lubing and Silicone

Postby BigRed1 » Sun May 02, 2010 10:57 am

Oven, other can answer better and more expertly than I can (I make no claim to be a gunsmith). But one thing I know is you don't want to jame something down so far that it can interfere with and mess up the hop up unit.

In general, AEG barrels don't need a lot of cleaning. They're not real steel, blowing out powder and stuff like that.

Now, I'll step aside so those more knowledgable can answer in better detail...
Airsoft Elite (ICS) MP5A4
CYMA M1A1 Thompson
KWA Glock 17

"Overkill is underrated"
BigRed1

Postby Oven Gnome » Sun May 02, 2010 11:27 am

I'm just gonna let Parafrog lube it when I get my gun upgraded, but thabks anyways! I was wondering mainly for the silicone, but just kinda scavenging for info.
Oven Gnome

Postby swimmerboy15 » Sun May 02, 2010 1:31 pm

DO NOT put silicone in the barrel. ever. aeg barrels only need to be wipped down and cleaned (a cleaning rod should have come with the gun) but they dont need to be lubbed, at least as far as the barrel goes. if you put silicone in the barrel it can interfere (not mess up though) with the hop up and you will tend to get a lot of flyers for a few hundred rounds until it wears off. just run a dry cloth down the barrel and if its a real steel then you need to lube it, ive got an armalite that needs to be lubbed but not an airsoft gun
-KWA SR-10 Upgraded
-KWA M16BR
-Echo G36K
-KJW 1911

Modern Warfare 2 Addict

"Our goal is not to get to Hell fast, only to make sure it is crowded when we get there"
swimmerboy15

Postby Oven Gnome » Sun May 02, 2010 2:50 pm

Oh, I see. Well, that's good to hear, so that I can clean it easily!
Oven Gnome

Postby swimmerboy15 » Sun May 02, 2010 5:25 pm

oh yea just run the cleaning rod with a tissue on it through the barrel and you are fine. just be sure to turn the hopup OFF before you clean the barrel
-KWA SR-10 Upgraded
-KWA M16BR
-Echo G36K
-KJW 1911

Modern Warfare 2 Addict

"Our goal is not to get to Hell fast, only to make sure it is crowded when we get there"
swimmerboy15

Return to Gear Discussions