[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
TN Airsoft Forums • View topic - Goggles, Facemask, etc? Discuss AEGs Sniper Rifles Tactical Gear

Goggles, Facemask, etc?

A place to discuss your questions, comments, etc regarding Airsoft Tactical gear: Vests, chest rigs, helmets, boots, radios, goggles, etc.

Moderators: dogsoldier, Skidude, Sniper

Re: Goggles, Facemask, etc?

Postby DRAGON64 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:12 pm

The way I see it... you only have two eyes, that's it! It is not one of those cases where if you loose one, it's alright, because you have another. Fog or no fog, I would run with full seal goggles only. If you have ever been hit in the face, you know these bb's can pack a small punch, and I for one would not want a bb to ricochet or fragment into my eyes. I may buy the cheapest goggles I can find, but I always buy brand name. ESS can be had for $18 all the way to $199, but ESS is also some of the best eye protection money can buy. Trust your eyes to a good pair of safety glasses? Or a good pair of full seal goggles? These are the questions to ask... the answer depends on what value you place on your eyesight.

DRAGON64

Postby redneckemt » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:15 pm

Alot of the fields in Tenn... (wanting to say just about all of them) Require full seal googles.

Safety / sun / shooting glasses won't / shouldn't cut it.

I had a BB graze my head and go under the rubber seal on my googles. At least that slowed it down. Glasses could have been alittle more interesting.
redneckemt

Postby phucheneh » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:56 pm

for goggles, ventilation is key. for cheaper ones, i'd take a small drill bit and poke holes around perimeter to allow some venting. my CA's had plenty of spare rubber to sacrifice for ventilation purposes without sacrificing safety.

personally, i can't stand wearing scratched eyewear, and i ALWAYS scratch them, so i just wear the $5 p-force shooting glasses that are widely available and throw them out after a couple of games. unless someone is shooting at you from beneath your crotch, BB's aren't gonna hit your eyes (i don't say that to be 'tough' it's just my opinion- everyone should wear the amount of protection that THEY are comfortable with and nothing less). ricochets are the only real danger, since they can come from all angles. unlikely to blind you, but it's possible and i'm sure even a slow ricochet could hurt quite a bit and cause damage to your eye. let me tell you- bruising your eyeball: not pleasant. i've done it at work.
phucheneh

Postby Fluffy Boy 32 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:43 pm

Just an update: I got my pair of ESS Goggles (same that DRAGON64 linked us to) and overall I'm impressed. They are VERY low profile and have a snug fit. I was wondering about one thing though...I looked at my sand sock and it has little places on it like something got on them. They were brand new in the original packaging so I don't know if it was just mine or what. Not a big deal though. I probably won't be using it that often anyways... They vent perfectly. Once I put a Cortex clip on 'em, they'll be ready to go!

Thanks for all the help guys!
Armory:
-PolarStar'd VFC 635 w/ R-Hop
-KWA USP Compact
-Custom Zombie Killer KJW 1911
Fluffy Boy 32

Postby Rhoades » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:55 pm

none of the fields around knoxville "secret city, and dead end" here require full seal protection... all require ansi 87.1. i have been using $5 saftey glasses from walmart that actually come in contact with the cheeks and brow and sides of my eyes, itd be pretty hard to get a bb in there. i have also been hit directly in the glasses from around 15-20 ft and had zero issues. biggest issue is fog. even with whips / spit nothing seems to cure that,

however, i have had a huge interest in wire mesh goggles, but like you guys i was concerned about mesh breaking, bb fragmentation or paint chips being an issue. the youtube videos do look horrible, but when if ever are you going to be 6" ft away and shooting a gun over 550fp? if you do thats a whole other set of problems.

A guy at deadend borescope to be exact lead me to this place

bitterendgoggles.com

they sell mesh goggles but its not mesh its stamped steel, you can check the dr, airsoft video about their lower face mask, 6 bb's in the same spot at 550 fps from 6ft away and the 6th bb was actually craddled by the steel but no penetration. they did get a lil paint chipping / bb fragmentation at that close, but i highly doubt u'd have that problem from legitamate distance. so i ordered a pair. I'll let you know how it works out.
Parallel 38 - Bravo

Rhoades
AirsoftVet

Previous

Return to Gear Discussions