[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
TN Airsoft Forums • View topic - Wire Mesh Face Mask Discuss AEGs Sniper Rifles Tactical Gear

Wire Mesh Face Mask

A place to discuss your questions, comments, etc regarding Airsoft Tactical gear: Vests, chest rigs, helmets, boots, radios, goggles, etc.

Moderators: dogsoldier, Skidude, Sniper

Wire Mesh Face Mask

Postby Saint » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:34 pm

Saw one of these in Coyote Tan on one of scoutthedoggie's youtube videos a while back, and asked myself "What are these magical face contraptions? Until today, I'd never seen the full face mask version on any of my usual browsing of websites (Though I admit, I never really looked).

Has anyone seen or owned these interesting little trinkets? If so, what were your opinions of them? My thoughts, add a pair of shooting glasses underneath, and you are safe, but without the equivalent of a personal steam room on your head.

Mtn Men Malitia
Co-Founder Forrest's Tennessee Rifle's: Jonesborough Rifleman
Attended 2010 Airsoft Training Day
Fulda Gap: Nato: 4.3 (I Took a Nap At Fulda Gap)
D-Day 2010 German, D-Day 2009 United States
Halloween Hellfight 2008 Special Forces
Saint

Re: Wire Mesh Face Mask

Postby Rhoades » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:33 pm

i was considering this mask, but they are coming out with a newer version called the stark, and it has ear coverage, the one you shown does not cover your ears. also keep in mind wire mesh is not full protection you can look on youtube at horrible videos of what could happen. dr airsoft is a guy on youtube that does tons of videos on all kinds of different mask for airsoft.

i recently just heard about bitter end airsoft goggles, they are not full face but they do have a lower face protection and its made of stamped steel not wire mesh, which doesn't allow bb's to penetrate. I actually ordered a set earlier today.

http://www.bitterendgoggles.com/bitter_end_goggles.htm
Parallel 38 - Bravo

Rhoades
AirsoftVet

Postby Saint » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:23 pm

As I said, pair this with a set of safety goggles underneath. I know full well the downside to mesh goggles, and if a gun is shooting hot enough to penetrate mesh, then I will pull the bb out of whatever body part it lodges into, then take said bb and shove it into a particular orifice to remind them why we have MED's and FPS Regulations.

But, this is interesting news about the "Stark". I shall look into it.
Mtn Men Malitia
Saint

Postby Irishman » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Yeah the mesh can hold it own as long as its not getting shot by something over 400.The thing I worry about is the mesh getting missaligned with the actual mask part like mine did(left a gaping hole big enough for my thumb to fit through).So as long as you dont buy the cheap crappy mesh masks (like me) then you should be fine.(still recommending shooting goggles as you said).But mesh is sooooo worth it.No more stupid fog! :lol:
''Heart and mind overcome all"
Irishman

Postby Dannick » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:49 pm

I highly recommend mesh lower face masks. Though, I really wouldn't wear mesh eyewear in any form. Stamped steel is great and all, but it's not a BB breaking the mesh that's a problem, it's a BB shattering and going through the holes or even paint possibly chipping off.

Also, what's the point of putting something else over your eyes if you're wearing proper eye protection? If your eyewear is so bad you need a second layer, then maybe you should consider getting new glasses/goggles.

If you don't know what I mean by "lower face masks": http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/combat-gears ... black.html
I personally use one of these masks, and also know of many other people that do as well. Work great, especially if you want to protect your chompers without wearing a mouthguard.

Systema PTW
VFC HK416
KSC USPc
KSC G19
Dannick

Postby Saint » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:09 pm

I figured that was what the shooting glasses were for, the bb's shattering. I have seen the lower face masks before, but that was what made me say, "Why not have something like this covering my whole face." Then, seeing it on a youtube vid, I went on my epic quest to find the mask.

I am just tired of the fogging, but wanted to go a different route than fans or even conventional goggles. Thanks for the input.
Mtn Men Malitia
Saint

Postby mat.levin » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:24 am

i think they would have their pros and cons
mat.levin

Postby ziggi858 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:40 pm

Personally, I use mesh face masks. They absolutely work wonders, protection, good visibility and best part is....NO FOG :D
the last one seems to be my favorite perk, because sadly I fog up ALL THE TIME, no matter what pair of goggles or glasses i wear
ziggi858

Postby Gun-Slinger » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:53 pm

i personnally know this guy have airsoft with him on multiple occasions and have tested his gear out and can say its top notch.
Gun-Slinger

Postby Dannick » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:00 pm

That link was already posted in this thread. Maybe it would help to read them before posting the same info again?

Systema PTW
VFC HK416
KSC USPc
KSC G19
Dannick

Postby trevorst » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:13 am

Since this has already been necro'd, I wouldnt mind trying to fashion some of these on my own. I have a set of wiley x's that I despise due to fogging I might consider breaking down one of the sets of lenses to give it a shot.

Here is the stamped steel bitter end uses or at least a comparable product. http://www.mcmaster.com/#9255t251/=btd7pq (ripped from airsoftmechanics.com which ripped it off airsoftretreat.com) the big disclaimer here is that it would need to be highly tested before use (I can create a 575fps+ gun for this testing :D ). $35ish bucks for 3' of steel mesh though is more product than I need; anyone in tricities interested in going in with me and conducting some experimentation lol. Shouldnt require more than cutters, a dremel, steady hands, patience and maybe some sort of adhesive :D
Tokyo Marui M14 SOCOM DMR
PolarStar Fusion Custom SR25
Lots more....
Μολὼν λαβέ
....If in doubt pinkie out.
Greater is an army of sheep led by a lion, than an army of lions led by a sheep - Alexander the Great
trevorst

Postby vess » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:42 am

One of the nice guys over at MIA has written a review/test on mesh masks. It basicly outlines the danger of using them by showing how many bb fragments can get through.

Now I'm new to this forum but based on pictures from the gallery and such I've noticed that some things are allowed here by the community that wouldn't fly back home. If you are going to use a mesh mask as a form of eye protection, then please use a 2nd layer of protection undernearth them like a pair of safety glasses. When you use the cheaper wiremesh masks all you are doing is putting a price on your eyes. I don't know about you buy I consider my eyes to be priceless. Consider a full seal ANSI rated goggle/mask. You may pay twice, thrice, or four times as much but you won't be loosing any jelly.
-The Glass is neither half empty nor half full, it is merely twice as large as is needed to contain
vess

Postby Irishman » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:21 pm

What the guy on that forum was testing was a 10 dollar mesh mask (point?thinner/cheaper metal to make the mesh.trust me,when you pay 30 bucks for a mesh mask,almost nothing will dent it)about the fragments though.that does scare me.from now on when i use mesh im putting safety glasses(or at least sunglasses) on before i go into a game
''Heart and mind overcome all"
Irishman

Postby vess » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:58 pm

Well the main point of me posting that link was to show the amount of BB fragments that can get through. You can never trust the guy shooting at you to use high quality BB's.

The fact that you are now more aware of this is great. I'm just hoping to maybe save one eyeball from a scratched cornea, so all I ask is that people respect the testing that person has done regardless of the quality of the mesh.
-The Glass is neither half empty nor half full, it is merely twice as large as is needed to contain
vess

Postby Saint » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:10 pm

I thought this post died long ago.

I had all intentions of wearing shooting glasses underneath. I'm one of those guys that overheat easy. That leads to fogging from full seal goggles.

I use full seal goggles now, and just wanted an opinion from something on the other side of the fence. And Trevorst, I'll be a test dummy for your mask. Just let me numb my senses before we do it :wink:
Mtn Men Malitia
Saint

Next

Return to Gear Discussions