[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
TN Airsoft Forums • View topic - Budget throat mics (that work!) Discuss AEGs Sniper Rifles Tactical Gear

Budget throat mics (that work!)

A place to discuss your questions, comments, etc regarding Airsoft Tactical gear: Vests, chest rigs, helmets, boots, radios, goggles, etc.

Moderators: dogsoldier, Skidude, Sniper

Budget throat mics (that work!)

Postby Borscope » Mon May 30, 2011 12:23 am

What is a throat mic?

Why a throat mic?
Doesn't get in the way
Doesn't pick up anything but your voice (cuts out background noise)
Can pick up whispers (just enunciate)
Can be used with a mask/shemagh/balaclava with no problem
Looks pretty bad-ass (if you can actually see it lol)
Bikers, Seals, and WW2 pilots wear them so there.

After today I will never wear anything else. Well, pants and stuff, but comm-wise...

Ebay Item number: 140355776763

This is the lowest-priced, highest-quality throat mic I've found after beaucoup research. Also, it adjusts to fit thick-necked basta...folk such as myself. I believe it's a copy of, or the actual Midland TH4, but I don't care, it's cheaper than the "real thing" and by God it works like nobody's business. The bottom pig-tail with the jack can be swapped for a Motorola 1-pin as well as others. The PTT is a 4-pin on one end, and a 5-pin on the other. The PTT clip is great for MOLLE and other straps that fit inside the clip, but will slide off if you clip it to a pocket flap or similar. If you've used one of the big PTT cans, you know you can smash it with an elbow, tricep, or similar to transmit so you can keep two hands on your weapon.

NOTE: Due to prior experience with low-priced throat mics, I took off transducer (microphone) unit covers, and PTT cover and sealed with "liquid electrical tape" (available at home depot), then used regular electrical tape to seal the cable connection points. Sweat has already shut down one throat mike*

Worked like a champ all day even after hours of sweating, climbing, sweating, jumping,sweating, crawling, etc. (I sweat a lot)

I have contacted, and am awaiting a reply from the company to see if I can get a bulk-rate discount so if you're interested let me know.

* ----------Research note--------------------
My very first field test was on the Midland AV-PH8 as it was dirt cheap (I like to start at the bottom of the price list for testing) and was a brand name.

First off, it has only one transducer. That means only one point of contact for transmission. (The one above has two...that's what you want)
Secondly, the PTT was your typical little 1"x0.5" box with an even smaller button. With a crap clip, which made hunting it down in mid-battle NO JOY. The VOX works, but who wants to hear you grunting and sneezing, and hear your motor going pew pew?
Thirdly, after wearing for a bit to get used to it, and building targets for the Gauntlet, it got so full of sweat it didn't pick up anything but tapping on the transducer housing with a tool.
D: It's friggin' small for my 19.5" neck (but I just had to turn the transducer onto the 2 o'clock of my throat which meant the earpiece started at the 7 o'clock of my head, otherwise it didn't bother me as it stretched.

Redeeming quality!!! After taking it home and cracking it open, I drained all the sweat out of it, rinsed with tap water, drained again, then put in a zip-lock bag with a cup or two of rice to draw any remaining moisture out for 2.5 days. Then I sealed the ever-loving feces out of it with "liquid electrical tape" and regular electrical tape. Had another (small-necked) player wear it all day today and not only did it work fine, but he loved it compared to other inexpensive headsets. So now I have two, one for Doubledown/Lil' 'Scope and one for me!

Parallel-38 Bravo Co.

"If it bleeds, we can grill it" ~Me
Borscope
AirsoftVet

Re: Budget throat mics (that work!)

Postby Borscope » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:55 am

Here's the direct link, with motorola versions etc.
http://www.dynamicdesignsus.com/servlet ... Categories
Parallel-38 Bravo Co.

Borscope
AirsoftVet

Postby Dannick » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:16 pm

Possible to get pictures of the modifications done?

Systema PTW
VFC HK416
KSC USPc
KSC G19
Dannick

Postby Borscope » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:14 am

Hi Dannick et al (had lots of people ask me this in person and PMs, but only Dannick posted here LOL)

First let me say, another day of Airsoft passed with the throat mic on for hours in 90+ weather and...fantastic performance, better than any mic I've worn as it doesn't get in the way or move! Also, it may look a little bulky, but the little box on the side where the speaker is for the eartube (as well as the rest of the unit) was as if it wasn't there. I wear a Gen1 LBV and a shemagh so I figured it'd catch and get knocked around but it's unnoticeable after just a few minutes.

I've also heard back from the manufacturer...the Ebay price is better than the "bulk rate" on the website unless you get 50+.

Ive been super busy with work and haven't even unloaded my truck from Sunday's game yet, but I figured since some of you guys have probably got them in hand I'll just go through how to WP them.

WP'ing the model of throat mic in my previous link is mostly preventative except for the area where the wire runs into the transducer housing in my opinion, as most of the joins are extremely close tolerance...but better safe than sorry. I can't stress this enough, IF YOU DO NOTHING ELSE, WP THE AREA WHERE THE WIRES ENTER THE TRANSDUCER HOUSINGS. Also, this can be adapted to the cheaper throat mics (i.e. the Midland AVP-H8) as I previously mentioned. I will also be WP'ing one of my teammate's throat mic in the near future and I promise to take pics this time :D

You'll need an electronics screwdriver set, liquid electrical tape henceforth known as LET (or similar), pressure tape or regular electrical tape (black 3M self-sealing), some toothpicks, and a safe to defile workspace. I like the LET as it allows te unit to be reopened in the future without damaging the plastic like glue would (besides, rigid & crystalline adhesives like epoxy & cyanoacrylate tend to break down fast or separate in these situations IME)

Separate the throat mic unti into it's 3 components by disconnecting the two threaded connectors. This is optional but makes it easier to handle without knocking cords through your workspace.

Throat mic:
On each of the transducer housings are 3 small phillips screws. Remove and gently pry off the covers,
Using the integral brush, slop some LET on some cardboard or something.
Use toothpicks to run a bead of LET around the join, and glob it in, around, and under the outboard sections where the wire runs out of the transducer housing. Be careful not to put too much inside where the transducer plates are, but plenty where the wire runs in.
Put the cover(s) back on, ensuring a proper/tight fit. Excess LET will run out the edges, that's fine.
Use a toothpick to dab more LET into the screw-holes, reinsert screws.
Using your fingers or a paper towel, remove excess LET.

PTT paddle:
IIRC 4 screws similar to the throat mike here, remove them and open the housing.
Seal with LET, close up, then dab more LET in the screw holes as for the throat mic. Don't worry about the connectors or the actual rubberized interior button.

Reassemble all pieces. Pay attention as one side is 5-pin and the other is 4-pin.
Wrap pressure/electrical tape around threaded connectors. Wrap under tension to allow pressure adhesion, cut a little extra off and fold over to create a tab to ease unwrapping in future.

Wear and play!
Here's the only pic I have of the unit, but you can get an idea of a "scale". The ebay/sales pic makes it look big and bulky but it's not, it's just right. I love the heavy duty cabling (as you can see I have no concern letting it hang lol) On my left shoulder you can see the radio in it's double M$ mag pouch saddle which combined with the Gen1 LBV means the PTT goes on my chest, but if at all possible put it where your elbow can mash it on your strong-side (trigger finger side) so you can aim your rifle and still hit it.
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b266/ ... eadEnd.jpg
Parallel-38 Bravo Co.

Borscope
AirsoftVet

Return to Gear Discussions