[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
TN Airsoft Forums • View topic - Ghillie Suit Anyone? Discuss AEGs Sniper Rifles Tactical Gear

Ghillie Suit Anyone?

A place to discuss your questions, comments, etc regarding Airsoft Tactical gear: Vests, chest rigs, helmets, boots, radios, goggles, etc.

Moderators: dogsoldier, Skidude, Sniper

Ghillie Suit Anyone?

Postby aaGEORGEaa » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:02 am

I noticed there isn't much talk about Ghillie Suits on the forum. I am on my 2nd Ghillie build and was wondering if there is anyone else on here who shares the love I have for Ghillie Suits. I'm not talking about the ones you buy in BassPro (They are good...but not good enough for airsoft). I'm going to post some picture of it soon and just wanted to see if anyone had any picture of there own Ghillie Suit. Any tips would be great too!

aaGEORGEaa

Re: Ghillie Suit Anyone?

Postby MILSIM » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:27 am

I made what i call an "assault ghillie" out of a pair of Coleman bunk bed mosquito nets, some needles and thread and some spraypaint.

Its designed for lightweight, multi-environment use with a set of abdomen-located magazine pouches of a CIRAS, IBA or IOTV. It is entirely mosquito net, and uses both its own color and its slight transparency to utilize the camouflage you are wearing underneath to enhance its effectiveness.

It is designed to tie on to your "back half" (though the arms are fully enclosed and the cuff is kept at the knuckles of the hand through a thumb hole cut into the inside seam. this keeps the camouflage extended out to the back of the hands, without risking a flash of white wrist or arm when moving. it also keeps the suit low profile and out of the way, allowing for rapid magazine changes or climbing, crawling actions. it is secured to the body through the use of ties placed across the width of the legs, knees, ankles, elbows and arms, waist and neck. It is therefore extremely effective when laying prone or crouched against cover, but doesnt impede the use of magazine pouches, single point slings or even taking a leak. It weighs almost nothing and even keeps out mosquitoes when the "hood" is up. I call it a "hood" because its a hybrid, having a neck i cut baggy on purpose so that when you are prone or crouched the mesh can be pulled up and over the head to form an effective hood that conceals the head, but upon standing up and running, it is automatically pulled down and back around the neck out of the way. This allows for excellent hit and run capacity as well as keeping with its "assault ghillie" title.

the camouflage is achieved from long strips of more mosquito netting, slotted, torn, ripped, frayed and otherwise ravaged for a brush-like effect, sewn in lateral "scales" across the surface of the suit. these scales overlap at abstract intervals, but concealing the seam of the layer below. This provides maximum concealment for minimal weight. the entire suit weighs less than a pound.

Static energy built up as the wearer moves attracts leaves, pine needles and small sticks if you roll on the ground, so upon taking up a position in a leafy or similar environment, you can roll through the brush quickly and add authentic natural cover.

Now for the best part. Where most ghillie suits are made of various materials to create a multicolored effect, this ghillie suit is entirely green...at first. Hanging the suit up on a coat hanger in a warm basement the morning of the game however...you can spraypaint it for different environments, perhaps altering it for the season. Add dashes of red brown for laying in pine needles, add whisps of white for early or late winter, spraypaint it with large slashes of gray and white for mid winter, gray and brown for standing against treebark, or my personal favorite, light gull gray with white overlay an horizontal slashes of dark gray for standing among birch trees... its ENTIRELY mission adaptable. Lightweight, cost effective and less time consuming to make than a normal ghillie suit that can cost almost a hundred dollars for a complete one, or slightly less for a "do it yourself" kit.

if you are interested, i can give you pointers, suggestions or clarify my poor description above.
You'd be surprised what you can hit when you aim.

GHK all the way.
MILSIM

Postby Fluffy Boy 32 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:01 am

If you want to do a ghillie suit right, Here's a tutorial:
http://airsoftsniper.proboards.com/inde ... hread=1714

I will warn you though, When using a ghillie suit, you need to be aware that you will have to add onto the suit depending on the type of environment and also that you will not be doing a lot of moving. If you are looking to do ghillie suit that's mobile, a ghillie blanket may be a better route.
Armory:
-PolarStar'd VFC 635 w/ R-Hop
-KWA USP Compact
-Custom Zombie Killer KJW 1911
Fluffy Boy 32

Postby aaGEORGEaa » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:04 pm

Thanks guys. I really like your idea MilSim. That sounds like a great idea but I am going for more of the bushy/shagy Ghillie Suit setup. I want people to walk right in front of me and not even notice im there. This is my second Ghillie Build so I know a lot about this stuff already. That link you posted Fluffy Boy is very helpful. Thanks

I have finished dying my Burlap and the Netting and Jute Twin should be here tomorrow. I will take pictures of my it through all the steps and upload them once finished.
aaGEORGEaa

Postby aaGEORGEaa » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:37 pm

*Ghillie Suit Update*

Burlap Rack

Burlap Colors

Jump Suit

Hat

Gun(Unfinished)
aaGEORGEaa

Postby Fluffy Boy 32 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:44 pm

Are you gonna do a full suit or a blanket?

Personally, I like a blanket. Works just as well, isn't as hit, not as heavy either. If you plan to be kneeling a lot then a suit would be better but if your gonna be mainly prone, a ghillie blanket will work better...
Armory:
-KWA USP Compact
Fluffy Boy 32

Postby aaGEORGEaa » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:59 pm

I'm going for the full suit.I like it better. Everyone has a different preference
aaGEORGEaa

Postby Fluffy Boy 32 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:59 pm

Armory:
-KWA USP Compact
Fluffy Boy 32

Postby chrisdetrin » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:25 am

▲
▲ ▲
guns:Asahi M60,TM P90,TM m16a1 with King arms M203,TM Glock 26, KWA sr-10 with CA m203, Echo1 249,m4a1,UTG l96s, UTG trishot.
chrisdetrin

Postby Irishman » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:48 am

Yes pictures of the assualt ghillie would be nice
''Heart and mind overcome all"
Irishman

Postby MILSIM » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:25 am

well here's the best part....when i was in Basic, my mom did this cleaning spree of my room and threw it out beause she thought it was a pile of leaves and garbage.....so all those hours of sewing by hand to no avail...

GHK all the way.
MILSIM

Postby aaGEORGEaa » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:53 am

Damn man that really sucks.
aaGEORGEaa

Postby MILSIM » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:07 pm

tell me about it! making that damn thing was a contributing factor to me never having gotten laid in my senior year haha. :cry:

GHK all the way.
MILSIM

Postby chrisdetrin » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:46 pm

▲
▲ ▲
guns:Asahi M60,TM P90,TM m16a1 with King arms M203,TM Glock 26, KWA sr-10 with CA m203, Echo1 249,m4a1,UTG l96s, UTG trishot.
chrisdetrin

Postby aaGEORGEaa » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:23 pm

like^
aaGEORGEaa

Next

Return to Gear Discussions