[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
TN Airsoft Forums • View topic - Boot Reviews Discuss AEGs Sniper Rifles Tactical Gear

Boot Reviews

A place to discuss your questions, comments, etc regarding Airsoft Tactical gear: Vests, chest rigs, helmets, boots, radios, goggles, etc.

Moderators: dogsoldier, Skidude, Sniper

Boot Reviews

Postby MILSIM » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:21 pm

Gonna do a quick synopsis of two pairs of desert boots that I have tried out, giving you an actual review of how the boot feels and wears, versus long fancy promotional videos from the manufacturer bragging about new vents and toe hold molds etc.

Blackhawk "Desert Ops"

bought these back in January from US Cavalry. The day after I brought them home I wore them in a 10 mile ruck march with almost no breaking in prior. This is inadvisable for almost any boot, but next to the god-awful boots I was issued in basic, I wanted to give them a go. I had no problems with blisters, hot spots, stiffness or discomfort at all. They felt secure and comfortable, much like a big tan sneaker rather than a clunky, heavy boot. They have lots of space around the toes, which keeps them warmer in cold weather (possibly formations in six inches of snow), versus the constricting toes of general issue "crew boots".

The lacing from the box is odd, not crossing above the top of the last gromit at the front of the ankle. This causes the boot to lace loosely there and makes it look sloppier and as though its "spilling outwards". I unlaced them and relaced by passing the first crosslace at the toe underneath the gromits and lacing in an inverted V, which secures the ankle, snugs it up and keeps the boot fitting, looking and feeling MUCH Better. (note, the standard laces are not 550 cord, just a soft loose weave lace that wears out fairly fast when rubbing on the gromits and speed hooks. My original ones are still going strong, but the wear is starting to show in a few spots. I recommend replacing them with either the round laces from "crew" boots, gutted 550 cord or some other type of strong synthetic lace.)

The sole extends in a small rubber tab upwards to create a small toe cap, which is only glued on. after a few months of hard wear, these begin to peel off the leather and allow things like grass, dirt, rocks and other debris to collect there and peel it open more. This is solved with some gorilla glue and some steady pressure.

They survived the mountain paths, roads and rocks of Afghanistan just fine for me, and continue to fit and feel well in garrison. They don't breathe any better than any other boot, but on the bright side for me, their thickness means I don't sweat straight through them like I did with my general issue boots.

Rocky C4T Trainer

I haven't worn these much yet, having just purchased them. They are manufactured with light weight in mind....and extreme comfort as well. they are what I'd like to refer to as combat moccasins....the soles being only rubber under the ball of the foot, heel and a strip along the arch. The rest of the sole is more like the filler "foam" like material usually found between the rubber sole and the leather upper. This means they are less hard wearing, but for ruck marches, light field environments and the like....extremely comfortable. The upper is designed around breathability, as the tongue and ankle panels are covered in ventilation pores, keeping the foot cool and moderately dry under activity. The leather is very soft and takes less breaking in than the Blackhawks above.

Last edited by MILSIM on Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
You'd be surprised what you can hit when you aim.

GHK all the way.
MILSIM

Re: Boot Reviews

Postby trevorst » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:46 pm

Rocky s2v boots.

Best. Boots. Ever.

(Got them for $24.99 :D Got my c4 trainers for $16)

C4 trainers are almost like tennis shoes AMAZING, lack traction though imo (still hell of a boot).
Tokyo Marui M14 SOCOM DMR
PolarStar Fusion Custom SR25
Lots more....
Μολὼν λαβέ
....If in doubt pinkie out.
Greater is an army of sheep led by a lion, than an army of lions led by a sheep - Alexander the Great
trevorst

Postby C0L0N3L $aNd3rS » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:57 am

Lucky bastard getting them so cheap... But I agree, S2Vs are amazing, and I am sure the trainers are too. I may pick some up in the future.
C0L0N3L $aNd3rS

Postby Aegis » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:48 pm

Milsim, do you think you'll ever get around to owning a pair of FiveTen boots/shoes? I'd love to see your comparison. The reason for my interest is I own a pair of FiveTen running shoes for Parkour as the rubber is just goddamned AMAZING, so when I found they had a boot type, I was interested.

http://www.amazon.com/FiveTen-Mens-Purs ... 21&sr=1-35 is the amazon.com link to the shoe I'm talking about if you have no idea what FiveTen or their shoes are.
Aegis

Postby MILSIM » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:47 am

Probably not. Im looking into the Belleville 500 series hot weather boot for my next acquisition, looking for some kind of hard wearing boot with more comfort than the general issue boots.
You'd be surprised what you can hit when you aim.

GHK all the way.
MILSIM

Return to Gear Discussions