[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
TN Airsoft Forums • View topic - Goggles: full seal vs. Glasses Discuss AEGs Sniper Rifles Tactical Gear

Goggles: full seal vs. Glasses

A place to discuss your questions, comments, etc regarding Airsoft Tactical gear: Vests, chest rigs, helmets, boots, radios, goggles, etc.

Moderators: dogsoldier, Skidude, Sniper

Goggles: full seal vs. Glasses

Postby SekiRyu » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:15 pm

I feel like I'm about to open a can of worms, but oh well.

I've noticed that the majority of airsoft "associations", if you can call them that, outside of Tennessee require full seal goggles for anyone who plays at their events/fields. I personally hate full seal. They're always too big for me and always fog even when they don't fog for everyone else. So I've been using ESS ICE Eyeshields. The annoying thing is, they get lumped in the same category as Wal-Mart shooting glasses, which they most definitely are not. They will take a shotgun blast and I've even seen a video of them taking a .22 (probably a low velocity .22, but that's still a hell of a lot more energy than an airsoft BB). Point is, they are more than sufficient for for woodland games, yet they are viewed as insufficient because they are not full seal. Okay, so they have small gaps in the top and bottom. If you're wearing headgear the top is covered. The only way a BB is getting in the bottom is if it happens to ricochet off something that just happens to be angled up in that direction--which there isn't a lot of out in the woods. So there are gaps on the sides where the glasses wrap around. The only way a BB is getting in there is if one of your teammates intentionally lights up your head from your 5 o'clock or 7 o'clock.

Now, I understand a requirement for full seal in a CQB environment where there are lots of flat surfaces and ricochets abound. But in the woods? I see no need.

Discuss.

SekiRyu

Re: Goggles: full seal vs. Glasses

Postby Tomcat14 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:45 pm

After reading what this kid went through, and suffering my own relatively minor eye injury from an angle grinder last spring, there is no way I would take a chance by not wearing full seal goggles. I have always had issues with fog as well until I bought the goggles I wear now which are Oakley "L" frame MX goggles with dual vented lenses.

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. 1 COR 9:24
Tomcat14

Postby SekiRyu » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:19 pm

In that case he wasn't wearing eye protection at all. Until someone can show my instances of BBs actually going in the gaps of proper eye protection, I will stand by my ESS ICE Eyeshields.
SekiRyu

Postby Fluffy Boy 32 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:42 pm

I have a pair of ESS Full Seal and also a pair of ESS Crossbow's (The updated version of the ICE) and I'd have to say that the crossbows (shooting glasses) have more fog than my full seal ESS. The way they were designed is probably a reason for this but I seriously don't mind wearing the full seal. Also with companies like Revision that are making full seal goggles that look so low profile, there isn't much room to complain...

One rule I ABSOLUTELY hate is the "Full face mask if under 18". I find this stupid and pointless. I really don't see a point to it because I'm pretty sure the field owner could care less about my pretty little acne covered face.
Armory:
-PolarStar'd VFC 635 w/ R-Hop
-KWA USP Compact
-Custom Zombie Killer KJW 1911
Fluffy Boy 32

Postby SekiRyu » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:04 pm

The facemask may be to keep teeth from getting shot out, but that's just a conjecture, and a mouth guard would be an easier solution.

The fact that the ESS ICE glasses have the exact same ANSI ratings as the ESS Profiles and Turbofans that everyone else swears by makes me wonder why the full seal even matters.

I seem to have a lot of issues with the way airsoft is run here in the States, but that's a whole 'nother topic.
SekiRyu

Postby Fluffy Boy 32 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:16 pm

I really don't mind them for outdoor games where the engagement is at a distance and pretty much it's head on to the other team. For CQB where you can get shot from every angle you can think of. I can understand why full seal is requitlred and even full face mask (In that situation, I would choose the facemask just because it would hurt pretty bad up close).
Armory:
-KWA USP Compact
Fluffy Boy 32

Postby SekiRyu » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:57 pm

I personally wouldn't play CQB unless there were strict FPS limits, as in nothing above .98J (I think that's somewhere around 325-350 fps) like the Japanese legal limit. I personally like the idea of such limits for the sake of the game--upgrading the velocity puts an unfair advantage towards the people with knowledge and/or money to have extra range and punch over those who don't have the knowledge and/or money to get upgrades or a hotter shooting gun. Similarly, inexperienced people with dispensable cash get hot-shooting guns thinking they're better and then end up using them irresponsibly and lighting someone up at close range.
SekiRyu

Postby trevorst » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:40 pm

I personally hate the sealed goggle thing....if you are wearing wrap around ansi glasses that should be sufficient. BB is just as likely to fly into one of the slits in a pair of flakjackets as shooting glasses. As for full face, I require my son to wear full face when we play mostly because dental work is some expensive shiz.

Whatever makes the field owners happy though...
Tokyo Marui M14 SOCOM DMR
PolarStar Fusion Custom SR25
Lots more....
Μολὼν λαβέ
....If in doubt pinkie out.
Greater is an army of sheep led by a lion, than an army of lions led by a sheep - Alexander the Great
trevorst

Postby ReaperM14 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:50 pm

I use a full face mask in CQB cause I like my teeth where they are, and my girlfriend is a dental hygienist. That wouldn't be a fun conversation...

Other than that, its whatever. Field owners choice. They don't want to get sued, which I understand.
Team Yakuza
OP: SoCo, Squad 2-2 (2012)
OP: Fulda Gap, Warsaw 120th (2012)

KWA M16 BR
KWA MP7A1
KWA USP Compact
Tokyo Marui MP5k
Tokyo Marui Mk23 SOCOM
Tokyo Marui M3 Super 90
ReaperM14

Postby SekiRyu » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:16 pm

I'm curious if full seal goggles and a balaclava would be considered a "full face mask". It's the only option I see that will keep your teeth intact and still allow you to actually aim your weapon.

If I'm forced to use a full mask, I'll just go pistol only. Can't aim worth a damn in a mask, it's impossible to get a proper cheek weld.
SekiRyu

Postby Fluffy Boy 32 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:57 pm

You can also buy a two piece mouth guard that fit your teeth. Pretty easy to speak out of and they don't come out easily...
Armory:
-KWA USP Compact
Fluffy Boy 32

Postby ReaperM14 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:33 pm

I never thought about the mouth guard... I have one at home, still in the package that I never opened for football. I may try that out.
Team Yakuza
OP: SoCo, Squad 2-2 (2012)
OP: Fulda Gap, Warsaw 120th (2012)

KWA M16 BR
KWA MP7A1
KWA USP Compact
Tokyo Marui MP5k
Tokyo Marui Mk23 SOCOM
Tokyo Marui M3 Super 90
ReaperM14

Postby BigRed1 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:18 am

Sekiryu, I see your original point and agree that the chance of a BB coming in from such extreme angles is probably miniscule. Still, given that it's our eyesight we're talking about, it's a risk I am not willing to take, no matter how small. So, I opt for full-seal goggles. Would rather deal with fogging frustrations every now and then than blindness forever :D
Airsoft Elite (ICS) MP5A4
CYMA M1A1 Thompson
KWA Glock 17

"Overkill is underrated"
BigRed1

Postby killertn » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:41 pm

[url=http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/myfragisfubar]
[/url]

Rest easy Big D.
TM VSR-10 G-Spec
KWA M9 PTP
killertn

Postby 1MCLMM » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:18 pm

Seriously the fact that "airsofters" are willing to risk so much for so little in return is moronic on an astronomical level. Lets be frank shall we. First off, this is a game. A game that most likely you will have no interest in eventually, whether it be years from now or a few months. Ive seen people showing up to games in everything from tank tops in shorts to just boxer shorts instead of proper safety gear then the carpet baggers cry like a newborn baby when they get shot. Now i realize the majority of people have a below average level of intelligence but this is just plain retarded. The argument that shooting glasses do not god up is absurd, they do just like anything given certain variables i.e. wearing them for prolonged periods of time, perspiring, humidity, etc. The only solution to this is a set of fanned goggles, an investment of course most deem unnecessary due to the cost for a decent pair. However, you gotta pay to play. So whats the end result? A watered down version of what airsoft used to be when people wore full seal goggles, face masks and proper gear that covered up sensitive areas of ones person. The problem is getting worse to the point one day the game will be played like Nerf, or a game of Tag. It shouldnt be about personal preference, this isnt Frisbee golf or a day of shopping at Abercrombie. It should be about standardized safety rules and measures.

In summary its beyond insane and not in a "oh your so insane your cool" but in a way that "Oh your so insane my dog has more intelligence than you and he spends most of his day licking his balls" kind of way, to not wear essential safety gear when playing airsoft. i can promise when all those who currently think im being a douche get a few years under their belts or seriously injured (oh yes it can and does happen) you will see things differently. For the most part though im sure the majority will file this under "P" for pointless long winded diatribe that goes in one one side of the brain and directly out the other but hey at least you can see well enough to read this now. But I sure do miss the days when anything went with no chance of injuries of cry baby nagging and fighting.

:wink:
How is it that 3/4's of everyone at every airsoft game is either a former SWAT commander, SF, Ranger or SEAL?
1MCLMM

Next

Return to Gear Discussions