[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
TN Airsoft Forums • View topic - 7 Things Every Noob Should Know Discuss AEGs Sniper Rifles Tactical Gear

7 Things Every Noob Should Know

Anything related to Airsoft that doesn't fit in another forum.

Moderators: Skidude, maddcatt

7 Things Every Noob Should Know

Postby kirzach » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:59 pm

1) KSC/KWA Glocks are not some uber-1337 holy grail of the airsoft world. Just because it's been "discontinued" (nevermind the fact all the parts you need to build them are still readily-available) doesn't make it rare. Case in point - I paid $200 shipped for my Glock 19. Now before you go jizzing your pants thinking you can get that much out of a stock, non-trademarked KWA, my Glock 19 is upgraded out the ass - G&G metal slide and threaded barrel, DyTac night sights, 3 mags WITH Magpul floorplates, foam-filled King Arms suppressor, tightbore barrel, every single upgraded spring you can put in this thing, the works. So if a fully-upgraded, fully-trademarked Glock 19 went for $200, what makes you think you can get $140 out of your stock, bland, untrademarekd and unupgraded KWA Glock 17/19/23F/26C? By all means, if you're selling one, list it at what you hope to get out of it. Just don't get butthurt when someone who's been around the airsoft scene for a while offers you a price significantly lower.

2) This one goes with 1; Airsoft Glocks in general aren't that uncommon, really. KSC/KWA made some fantastic ones for a while. Tokyo Marui also STILL makes 17s, 18s, and two different kinds of 26s (which are, by the way, better than their KSC/KWA counterparts. No offense.) Just like in the real world, Glocks are a dime a dozen - everyone and their mom has one. There is absolutely nothing rare about a stock Glock, "discontinued" or not. Now, some of the higher-end upgrade parts (and the coveted "Made in Austria" old-school KSC frames) may fetch a higher price, but keep that in mind when buying or selling a Glock.

3) Box mags. Machine guns use them. Rifles and machine pistols don't. A giant box mag hanging out the bottom of your M4 does not make you cool or super-elite, it's, as has been said, a "god-awful noob marker" that lets us all know how much of an idiot you are. In reality, most real beta mags jam more than a government-issue M16 (and that's saying something!) and thus are not used because, to be short, they're trash. They're more dangerous as a thrown projectile than as an ammo storage unit. So please, unless you're using a machine gun (M249, RPK, M60, etc), leave the fagmags at home.

4A) No matter what you want to believe, JGs, ECHOs, JLSes, and all those other craptastic China companies are not as good as a Marui, and they likely will not be any time soon. A stock JG will break long before a stock Marui will - that's part of the reason why Maruis are so much more expensive. Additionally, the clone manufacturers are not some great messiahs of the airsoft world, bringing affordability to the field; they're nothing more than design-whoring thieves waiting around like hungry sharks for something new to come out, so they can steal the design and profit off of it. Proof? Simple: Most JGs are direct clones of Maruis. DBoys' entire AK line is made up of clones of VFCs or CYMAs (which, in turn, are also cloned off VFCs). No matter how nice you think your clone is, it will always be insulting to offer a clone for somebody else's Marui, VFC, LCT, etc. Seriously children, stop it.

4B) Maybe if you guys would take some time to learn about the sport and the longevity of the guns, we wouldn't have such a mass exodus of quality items in the For Sale forums! As it stands, every little kiddy that jumps face-first into airsoft without knowing stuff about anything and then quits after 2 months is flooding the market with used clones. Buy something good, that will last you a long time, and that you will LIKE, or don't buy it at all. It's like that BMW commercial - "This one's just as good as the one you wanted." - "No. It's not."

5) Google is your friend. Not the other players, not the veterans, not the admins or the mods. Have you ever wondered why so few of the old-timers are still around, or if they are they're just not helpful anymore? Because we're tired of all the little kiddies running in, asking a million questions that've been asked a million times before, and then running off and doing nothing with the knowledge. When people can't be bothered to help themselves, we can't be bothered to help them. It's that simple. Now some of the more obscure questions about things most people haven't been in airsoft long enough to remember, then yes, we may pitch in. But seriously, kids. "Is JG A better than JG B?" gets old fast, especially when it's constantly asked. There are plenty of resources on this site alone - like, for example, the search button, or maybe just spending some time perusing the forums for your own self-enlightenment - that can answer most of your questions. If you can't find it with Search, and you can't find it with Google, chances are it's a good question.

6) No-Bullsh*t Policy - For the love of GOD, if you don't know for sure what you're talking about, keep your damn mouth shut. I'm tired of seeing people running their mouths on something they know nothing about. This isn't to say I know everything - I do my best, but even I have to double-check myself sometimes, or ask a fellow veteran for confirmation before I say anything. There's a distinct difference between fact and opinion, and an even stronger difference between fact and outright lie. I suggest you take the time to learn the difference before you catch flak from people who can smell bullsh*t a mile away.

7A) "What tacticrap should I put on my gun?!" threads. Everyone has their own opinions. Only you know what you like. Why are you asking the rest of the community? Go with what YOU like best, because you know what? In the end, it's YOUR gun, YOUR money, and YOUR accessories. Not anyone else's. YOU have to like them, because if you don't, you're wasting your money and you may not always be able to simply sell the item to recoup the cost.

7B) This goes for "What gun should I buy?" threads too. Generally speaking, most stock AEGs are going to perform the same unless you're looking for something specific from a manufacturer, or otherwise being SPECIFIC. "Should I buy a JG MP5 or JG M4?" just doesn't cut it. The out-of-box performance of many AEGs these days is about the same, so in the end it comes down to personal preference. Do you like MP5s or M4s? Like both? Cool! Now which do you like more? Do you plan on doing CQB or woods, or do you need a setup that can do both? Now sniper rifles are a little different, as certain parts are available for certain models that are proprietary, but even then, if it's Tokyo Marui or Maruzen APS compatible, chances are that's going to come down to personal preference too.

С.Т.Ð.Л.К.Е.Р. (S.T.A.L.K.E.R.) - Monolith Black Guards Unit

Fraud Mods - Bringing down the hammer on self-righteous punks that think they're above the rules. Making the world a better place, one ass-kicking at a time.
kirzach

Re: 7 Things Every Noob Should Know

Postby C0L0N3L $aNd3rS » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:40 pm

Sticky please :P
C0L0N3L $aNd3rS

Postby Fluffy Boy 32 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:08 pm

Armory:
-PolarStar'd VFC 635 w/ R-Hop
-KWA USP Compact
-Custom Zombie Killer KJW 1911
Fluffy Boy 32

Postby SOAP » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:20 pm

amen i have been guilty of some of these in the past so its set in stone sorta
Echo1 m14
jg s system with m203
jg bar10 for sale 15 dollers needs new sears
If its not tactical its not practical
Gunfire is the sound of freedom
DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR
SOAP

Postby Dannick » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:16 pm

Thank for saying everything I didn't want to. My conscious just wouldn't let me, but you did it for me. :D *high-five*

Systema PTW
VFC HK416
KSC USPc
KSC G19
Dannick

Postby ProfessorCrow » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:10 pm

Kirzach -

Butthurt noobs love to hate him. But inside, they know he's right.

-Crow
Like Overwatch on Facebook!
Daytona Gun GBB MK48 Custom - KWA MK23 with LAM- TM Spas 12
ProfessorCrow

Postby Ares51 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:28 pm

Brilliant job Kirzach. Hopefully this will filter out some of the stuff that really detracts from the forum.

Now to paraphrase xandman, "I can hear keyboards clattering like fat kids jumping on bubblewrap :P ."
Ares51

Postby Sigmarius » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:46 pm

kirzach, that rant sounded almost as if it came from the depths of my black little rock of a heart.

I cried a little. I would it was joy, but I feel no joy. Only sadistic pleasure. So let's go with that. I cried in sadistic pleasure.

+1 to stickying (that can't be a word...) this post...

Team Leader: ODA-865
http://www.oda-865.com
Sigmarius

Postby jonah37801 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:20 pm

-EAF- wrote:

-------- guns
aug 3 gen gearbox - turuss - de m3 trippel shotgun.
PORKCHOP!
jonah37801
AirsoftVet

Postby BravoLion1 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:48 pm

Honestly this is kinda offensive to some people

If someone is new to the Airsoft community we shouldn't call them a "Noob" or treat them like there trash we were all there at one point we should accept them into the Airsoft world and give them as much help as we can so they will have a great Airsoft experience.

Also, if someone makes a comment that we have all herd before maybe its because there new, we shouldn't smite them for that .

Really this is flaming, this isn't info for new players its insults.

Keep it to yourself buddy this isn't what the Airsoft community should be labeled as.
BravoLion1

Postby kirzach » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:06 pm

Save it for someone who cares, buddy. You're the only one here that has an issue with it.
С.Т.Ð.Л.К.Е.Р. (S.T.A.L.K.E.R.) - Monolith Black Guards Unit

Fraud Mods - Bringing down the hammer on self-righteous punks that think they're above the rules. Making the world a better place, one ass-kicking at a time.
kirzach

Postby Fluffy Boy 32 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:37 pm

Actually, I'm kinda with him. I actually said in my first comment that I was guilty of it. Personally, I think we could implement a section for JUST new players and their question. I don't blame people for posting stuff. It says "Gun discussions" and that's exactly what their doing. If it weren't for some of the veterans setting me straight and giving me good advice/info, I wouldn't be able to give advice/info to help people that are new to the sport to help people join.. This sport isn't like Paintball where you can just go somewhere and rent a gun to play with for the day. You either have to buy your gear or barrow some from a friend.

One of my MAIN reasons for switching from Paintball were peoples ego's and that it costs a lot of money just to buy ammo. Almost every "veteran" I've played with just B*TCH about EVERYTHING and if you ask them ANYTHING about a lower end gun (like you are kinda doing) they will GO OFF about it! Don't get me wrong though, I've met some REALLY nice Veteran players that were really nice and wouldn't mind helping expand the sport to others (Also, They were older and probably were around when the sport started). They were rare people on the field but there were a few of them.

I'm not trying to start Flame wars or get into it with anyone but I'm just saying this from a "N00b's" perspective because I used to be one of them (and still kinda are in some sections)...
Armory:
-KWA USP Compact
Fluffy Boy 32

Postby ProfessorCrow » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:13 pm

Like Overwatch on Facebook!
Daytona Gun GBB MK48 Custom - KWA MK23 with LAM- TM Spas 12
ProfessorCrow

Postby Fluffy Boy 32 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:49 pm

Once again, Crow gets me being stupid with my words...
I should just start staying out of this stuff more often. Oh well.
Basically, All I want to say is to just give the new guys some slack. I started off wanting Crossmans, Then moved to JG's, Echo 1, G&G, KWA, Marui, etc and switched between different models of guns and who made the best ones. Yes I was a complete ASS to the veterans on the forum because I was curious to know more about the sport since I was just getting into it.

I still say to think about my idea of a "New comers" section for questions and what not. Then the "veterans" won't get so pissed all the time. Or we could have a trusted member that's we could vote on make a list of different guns, companies, who makes the best model, and then put lists together so people joining can see what brands to look for if starting and what not. It would save the "veterans" some time not having to answer things.

PS: If you want to quote me, please do! I say some really stupid stuff when some of you get creative with that quote button... :D
Armory:
-KWA USP Compact
Fluffy Boy 32

Postby xandman » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:21 am

Friendly neighborhood armorer
Leader of team "yakuza"
忠誠心 , å誉 , å°Šé‡ , 正義 , 勇敢 , 慈悲
Irene VI, Irene VII (squad leader), Northern wind V, Northern wind VI(squad leader)
Remember " Big D" "1978-2009"
xandman

Next

Return to General Airsoft