[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
TN Airsoft Forums • View topic - 7 Things Every Noob Should Know Discuss AEGs Sniper Rifles Tactical Gear

7 Things Every Noob Should Know

Anything related to Airsoft that doesn't fit in another forum.

Moderators: Skidude, maddcatt

Re: 7 Things Every Noob Should Know

Postby Fluffy Boy 32 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:55 am

Armory:
-PolarStar'd VFC 635 w/ R-Hop
-KWA USP Compact
-Custom Zombie Killer KJW 1911
Fluffy Boy 32

Postby kirzach » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:29 am

We actually already have a Beginners board here in General. But nobody seems to use it (I'm guilty of that, too). Now I don't know if people actually read that section, but I know not many people actually post in it.

So in a way, your idea has already been started. Now it's just a matter of finishing it.
С.Т.А.Л.К.Е.Р. (S.T.A.L.K.E.R.) - Monolith Black Guards Unit

Fraud Mods - Bringing down the hammer on self-righteous punks that think they're above the rules. Making the world a better place, one ass-kicking at a time.
kirzach

Postby DRAGON64 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:58 am

The title of this thread is misleading... I clicked and read what I thought was going to be a helful thread for new players to the airsoft community, and instead I find a rant from a disgruntled. The posts that follow are just as negative as the first, as the disgruntled followers post a "me too" or a "make this a sticky" reply.

I have no particular gripe about what has posted, but the title lures in many new people looking for answers, and instead, they find a personal rant that basiclly slaps a negative label on a new player, and goes on to slap them in the face... for being new.

A positive thread titled "7 Things Every Airsoft Veteran Should Remember" might need to be created.

1) Remember, you were once a noob... never forget

2) New players look to you for guidance, please be positive and helpful

3) A reply to the question asked for the millionth time should be on macro... because you'll use it often

4) Patience is a virtue

5) Mentor, do not beat down the new player

6) Share... and then share again

7) Because you are a veteran, you are not supreme... your words are taken for what they are, so please keep them positive, or keep them to yourself.

I'm just sayin... think before you rant!
DRAGON64

Postby Sigmarius » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:54 pm

Perhaps I should clarify something I believe.

There is a difference between a "newb" and a "n00b". Note the spelling. A "newb" is someone who is new to something and is just learning the basics. Most of the time, these people try their best to learn all they can about something, and tend to ask intelligent questions and make use of things such as the "search" box, or spend a few days lurking on the boards and reading older posts to see if they information they are looking for is already posted.

A "n00b" is someone who is new to something, but makes no effort beyond posting a thread asking the same question that has been asked dozens, sometimes hundreds, of times before. They are someone who tries to bludgeon their way onto a forum with little to no respect of the established way of things, and is frequently a moron both on and off the boards.

Everyone has been a "newb" at some point. Almost everyone has had a "n00b" moment or three, myself included.

I do agree that it is the responsibility of the veteran players to help and coach the new players to a higher level. And perhaps I was too quick to throw my full support behind the OP of this thread. HOWEVER, I DO feel that the OP made some very good points, and that the basic premise of this thread should be stickied. Maybe edited, maybe not.

That's all I got.

Team Leader: ODA-865
http://www.oda-865.com
Sigmarius

Postby kirzach » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:36 pm

Thank you, Sig.

There's a distinct difference between those new players willing to learn and be coached, and those ignorant little **** that just want everything handed to them on a silver platter with no effort whatsoever on their part and who tend to act like they know everything when it's obvious they don't.

But it's awesome that so many people get butthurt because they jump to conclusions. I can't help but wonder how many of the people complaining actually bothered to read the whole post and let the meaning soak in. Let alone how long they've been in airsoft and/or otherwise had to put up with what I posted about.

Fraud Mods - Bringing down the hammer on self-righteous punks that think they're above the rules. Making the world a better place, one ass-kicking at a time.
kirzach

Postby scales » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:46 pm

+1 zillion

This would make a great sticky!
scales

Postby ItAintWhatItUsedToBe » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:57 pm

By the way, if you're gloating about being an "veteran" airsoft player, you need to work on your priorities in life.
ItAintWhatItUsedToBe

Postby Dannick » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:45 pm

He isn't gloating... He's just saying the things that we all think when we see the same thing over and over again.

People can dislike the post as much as they want, but we all know it's true.

Systema PTW
VFC HK416
KSC USPc
KSC G19
Dannick

Postby Ross » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:38 pm

KWA MP7A1
KWA USP .45

H&K, Not a single compromise since 1949
Ross

Postby kirzach » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:48 pm

Because we're sick of wasting our time, that's why. People ask the same questions over and over again, and more often than not they do it without even bothering to look and see if it's already been asked. If all the little noobs and arrogant kiddies can't be bothered to put forth a little effort to find what they need, why should we have to cater to their laziness by just feeding them all the answers on a silver plate?

kirzach

Postby ItAintWhatItUsedToBe » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:08 pm

ItAintWhatItUsedToBe

Postby Dannick » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:15 pm

If only your post made more sense...

If you have so much of a problem with him, why are you bothering to read his thread?

Systema PTW
VFC HK416
KSC USPc
KSC G19
Dannick

Postby ItAintWhatItUsedToBe » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:56 pm

ItAintWhatItUsedToBe

Postby Fridge Gnome » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:30 pm

Are you saying that I should reconsider the practicality of a vsr box mag?
Fridge Gnome

Postby AINT-A-ROOKIE » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:19 pm

AINT-A-ROOKIE

PreviousNext

Return to General Airsoft