[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
TN Airsoft Forums • View topic - crc and dupont teflon silicone oil Discuss AEGs Sniper Rifles Tactical Gear

crc and dupont teflon silicone oil

Anything related to Airsoft that doesn't fit in another forum.

Moderators: Skidude, maddcatt

crc and dupont teflon silicone oil

Postby krazikev » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:35 pm

i just saw some vids. on silicone oil, one guy uses dupont teflon silicone that says on the bottle safe on plastic and o rings, and another guy was using crc heavy duty oil whats everyone thoughts ON THESE TWO OILS ONLY if used by anyone here , thankyou for your help

krazikev

Re: crc and dupont teflon silicone oil

Postby Fluffy Boy 32 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:53 pm

Give this thread a look over. Then when you look for different types of lubricants, you can refer to it and see if it will work or not...
http://www.airsoftforum.com/board/Airso ... 14544.html
Armory:
-PolarStar'd VFC 635 w/ R-Hop
-KWA USP Compact
-Custom Zombie Killer KJW 1911
Fluffy Boy 32

Postby Lancer » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:11 am

Dupont Teflon is completely safe for both plastics and rubber (and metals and such). Basically it is fine to use anywhere on an airsoft gun

CRC however, you should almost never use. It is silicon spray but it contains acetone, which will eat most of the plastics we encounter in airsoft guns quite quickly. I don't know for sure if it would have that effect on rubber, I would assume it would be safe for use on rubber as that is what it is designed for, but certainly not anywhere where it could come into contact with plastics.

I used CRC for a while but then the other day I decided to lube a couple midcap magazines and very nearly ruined them completely by dissolving part of the track inside that the BB's travel upon. As soon as I noticed this I read the back of the label and too my horror discovered it's acetone content :(. In fact now I use the Dupont Teflon spray because it specifically says it is safe for use on Plastic, Rubber, Metal, and even wood, which is essentially every material you could come into contact with on an airsoft gun.
Lancer

Postby krazikev » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:58 am

krazikev

Postby Lancer » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:53 am

The problem with containing petroleum is that it dissolves other petroleum products, such as rubber and plastic. The Dupont spray says it is specifically safe for these, I would imagine because the petroleum distillates they use are light ones (propane and butane) and these are used just as propellants. These are also in their gaseous form upon leaving the bottle (they would need to be in liquid form to actually cause trouble), so neither the butane nor propane used will be an issue (otherwise, the O rings in GBB's would be eaten through very quickly).

Now also it says it contains acetone in here, but I am willing to bet it is in extremely small quantities, and, being acetone, also evaporates very very quickly upon exit.

Talking about this made me curious to see exactly how "powerful" these two are at dissolving other petroleum products (Oh, I am studying to be a chemical engineer by the way). So I developed this little test. I made about a dime sized circle on a piece of polystyrene and sprayed both lubes on it. Here are the results:

The results here are clear, the hole created by a dime-sized quick spray of CRC made a hole large enough for me to put my finger in far enough to cover up the nail. I sprayed the Dupont multiple times leaving at times a "puddle" on the surface and there is absolutely no change to the polystyrene. That is all the proof I need to continue using it.

Dupont is an excellent chemical company, if they say it is safe for plastic and O rings, I trust their judgement.

I hope this puts some of the fears you have to rest. Let me know if you have any more questions.
Lancer

Postby Tomcat14 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:47 pm

A Picture is worth a thousand words!! Great post Lancer!! I've been using the Dupont spray for years as well and have never had any negative issues whatsoever.
Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. 1 COR 9:24
Tomcat14

Postby Dannick » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:03 pm

Just to put another testimonial for Dupont spray; I use it for my current DaytonaGun and the DG M249 I am acquiring soon has also been solely run with Dupont and still runs like a champ.

Systema PTW
VFC HK416
KSC USPc
KSC G19
Dannick

Postby Tomcat14 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:03 am

I was in Lowes yesterday and noticed they now sell the Dupont in a non-aerosol form.
Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. 1 COR 9:24
Tomcat14

Return to General Airsoft