[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
TN Airsoft Forums • View topic - Weathered/Refinished AK47 Discuss AEGs Sniper Rifles Tactical Gear

Weathered/Refinished AK47

Post links to your favorite Airsoft related pictures and video clips here.

Moderators: dogsoldier, Skidude, Sniper

Weathered/Refinished AK47

Postby Toren » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:53 pm

I got a my Cyma CM042 AK47 for Christmas. I love the gun and it shoots pretty good stock, but the color of the real wood was way too red for me. Being in multicam, my friends always commented that the way they found me in the woods was to look for the red on my gun.

So I decided to work on that.

The finished job.

Here is how I did it.

I started by going to Lowes and digging through stain colors. I ended up getting "Dark Walnut" and a satin polyurethane. Even being satin I figured it would be a bit too reflective so I made sure I had some steel wool to dull the finish when I was done.

Click on the pictures to view them full size.

I used a fine sanding block to take the original finish off.

Here is the gun in pieces, half sanded.

It took quite a while to sand down everything, my arm was seriously hurting by the time it was done.

I stuck the gun back together to see what it looks like, reminds me of the Cyma tactical AK.

Next I used a screwdriver handle and some other instruments to beat up on the wood and enhance some existing scratches. Then I mixed black acrylic paint and water to make a wash. If you do this make sure to wipe it off quickly, it doesn't take long at all. It really brought out the nicks and cuts and the wood grain.

I sanded a bit more after it dried fully.

I applied a nice solid coat of Dark Walnut stain, making sure to fully cover the wood. I ended up touching some up after it dried a few hours to make sure I didn't miss spots too badly.

I had thought about just using linseed oil after the stain, but knowing the wood is not that great quality, I used two coats of polyurethane to protect it, sanding lightly between.

1st coat:

2nd coat:

Next I reassembled the gun. With the polyurethane it fit a little bit tighter in most places, which is nice. It gave the gun a more solid feel. I did learn just how bad the wood can be when I was reattaching the pistol grip. It had been slightly loose, but when I tightened it down the wood was crushed beneath the screw, leaving a hole completely through. For now I used a washer to hold it on, and it is actually tighter than before. I will have to countersink it slightly when I have some time and can get the right size bit.

I also used some steel wool to weather the metal in some places. It isn't too obvious, but I didn't like the super clean look the metal had before. It took the weathering well, and I don't think you can really tell unless you look closely.

I had ordered a real steel flash hider from Cheaper Than Dirt for $10 with some other random stuff I needed and it happened to get in today, when the gun was ready to be re-assembled. I had to use a dremel to cut a notch out for the cleaning rod on the lower part of the front sight, and the thing is held on by tape right now, but it doesn't seem to move much, and should work until I figure out a more permanent mounting solution since the pins on the sight are fake on the airsoft gun.

Overall I am pretty happy with how it turned out. Here are some pics of the finished product. Don't forget to click them to see the full size pictures.

And my full arsenal. Cyma CM042 AK47. JG MP5A4 with Well stock and lighted handgrip. HFC 1911 NBB.

Cyma CM.042 Full Metal/Real Wood AK47
JG (mostly) MP5A4
Toren

Postby CapnAce86 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:57 pm

It definitely brought out the wood grain, looks way better. Great job, man.
KWA M4RIS
Novak NeXt M1911 .45
Betty the Shanker
http://www.facebook.com/christopher.cutshall
CapnAce86

Postby viper907 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:47 pm

Peace through superior firepower.

Op: Fulda Gap 2008 NATO Forces
Op: Maple Leaf 2009 Canada Forces Bravo1 SL
viper907

Postby Paul » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:56 am

Hi Toren,

That looks really good, nice job. Well worth the effort I would think.

Paul
Paul

Postby wolfdog45 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:18 am

Looks great. I refinished my SAR1 stock that exact same way.
wolfdog45

Postby taliben » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:45 am

No 2JZ No care
taliben

Postby TAC » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:12 am

Sending people to respawn since 2003.
TAC

Postby ERTgrenadier » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:12 am

ERTgrenadier

Postby Guy » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:31 am

Founder
Green Giants Airsoft