Crane Stock Battery Installation

All about guns, inside and out. Stock and customize.

Moderators: Skidude, Sniper

Crane Stock Battery Installation

Postby prometheus » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:10 am

After hearing tons of complaints about the Crane Stock, and its battery I have decided to post a walk through for installing the pack into a Stock. More and more players are taking advantage of this item, you get the convenience of a collapsible stock, and the capacity of a large battery, it will even hold a 12 volt. This guide is for the Classic Army, and STAR crane stocks only. The; SRC, King Arms, and the STAR Club Foot hold a differant battery pack, may be similar but I am not familiar with those. I know there are many ways to skin a cat, so this is far from the gospel, this is only the method I have found to be the easiest on me, and my equipment.

The Crane stock battery pack can be made in different ways and these are the two types I have come across. you can see in the images below that the connectors are in different locations. The one on top, the intellect, has its tamyia connector in the back, or the middle of the pack, and the one on the bottom, wrapped in black shrink has its deans connector in the end that goes into the stock tube. we will call these configuration one and configuration two for the purposes of this guide.

Config 1
Config 2

both function the same. It is convenient to have one made as in config 1 since when installed properly, you can just pop off the stock's butt and charge the pack from there. so once you have it in, there shouldn't be any reason to remove it. However with the pack made as in config 2 you can shorten the lead wires, thus, lessening any resistance those 4-5 inches of wire would have produced. more than likely not much, but some going for extreme ROF cut every corner they cross. As you see, there is more wire on config 1, allowing the stock to to have a full range of motion. Mine made by CheapBatteryPacks.com was an early Crane type battery pack, since then I have sent them images of how we airsofters want them made.

And here you see, Classic Army produces them in both configurations. We also see that as pictured they don't build the config 1 packs with as much wire as we see with the intellect pack. But with more wire as in config 2. The 12 volt packs pictured are built with a smaller cell, a 4/5 SC. Those cells have a lesser mah capacity than the SC, or sub-C cell. The Pack I am using for this guide is made with SC cells.

the only difference in the two, for installation, is when you plug up the pack. with config 2, you must plug the pack up then insert the pack's short section into the stock tube. with config 1, you have to hold the wire coming out of the stock tube(the one connected to the AEG) and push the short section of the battery pack into the stock tube, then plug it up. a tight fit, but it should go if you convince it to. you will notice I have put some tape on mine to help guard it from the edge of the stock extension tube. also, mine was ordered with a deans type connector, I find these to be more reliable, and create less resistance that the stock mini-tamyia.

notice the gaps in the stock to accommodate the wiring.
the middle gap is for the wire connecting the three packs, and the others are for the bulge in the side packs to fit in. the bulge you find running the length of all three pieces of the battery pack is from wiring found under the shrink wrap.

and here is how the pack will sit when it is all said and done.
some people put the pack in as shown here, plug it up, and carefully, with finger inside stock from back, work the small part of the pack into the stock tube. this technique is a little sketchy in my opinion since you could pinch a wire without knowing.

In this 1st step you are going to line everything up. if you have a battery made like in config 1 you want to hold onto the wire coming out of the tube and insert the small part of the pack, and plug it up. if you have a battery pack made like config 2, plug up the wire, and then push the pack in.

now you want to stand up the AEG, supporting the remaining battery pack so to not weaken the connection points, and and make sure 2 side packs are laying flat with the bulge from wire lined up to fit in the gaps pointed out above.

now take the stock and bring it down onto the batteries wires, guiding them into the middle slot, and then slide it over the battery.

you will have to push down on the adjustment lever to get the stock to slide on.

now you want to put the battery compartment caps back on. I generally just push them in there, or use a pair of pliers. you may think that repeatedly forcing these in and out of place would weaken them, I have not experienced any of this with my Classic Army stock. I find it easiest to remove them by rotating them away from the stock tube.
now obviously you can just remove the stock all the way, letting the wires holding the 3 together pull the middle pack out of the tube! but I would strongly discourage anyone from doing that, you are just putting strain on your battery packs wire connection points.

now if you have a crane battery pack made as in config 1, you don't have to worry about any of this, once installed, just pop the but off of the stock, disconnect the wires, and charge.

I hope I have helped someone with their crane battery.

The problems not getting the politicians out of war, its getting the war out of the politicians.
prometheus

Return to Armorer